Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Run4panic: Spa Upgrade on Splendor is Awesome

Run4panic
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Spa Upgrade on Splendor is Awesome

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Embarkation: was a breeze. My boyfriend and I met a friend for champagne brunch at 11 a.m. next door at the Queen Mary ($50 a person but the food was good and they were quick to refill the champagne.) We finished brunch and boarded at 1:30 p.m. and literally walked right through, no waiting. This was a birthday cruise for both me and my sweetie; the steward delivered a cake sent by a friend before I could even close the cabin door! I personally ordered several things through Bon Voyage and everything was accurate and showed up on time.

Interior Spa Room: I would say YES to the spa cabins but NO to cabin 1051. It is the last of the interior rooms and closer to the middle of the ship so I chose thinking I'd feel less of the ship movement. However; this room is right next to the stewards galley for the deck and every morning at 6 a.m. I awoke to the banging of various carts being pulled out. The picture of the cabin on the Carnival website is it, I was wondering what the More rest of the room looked like but the answer is there is no more, lol (besides a bathroom and closets.) There was TONS of closet space, and with our luggage stored under the bed we had plenty of storage room.

Spa: We spent at least 30 if not 120 minutes using the spa daily. The steam/sauna rooms and the Thalossotherapy pool that come with the spa rooms are all wonderful. Bring your own spa shoes/flip flops though because there was none in the room (despite advertisements to the contrary). Also, the spa rooms were supposed to come with a yoga OR pilates class and we found out at embarkation this had changed to just a yoga class. We took advantage of the spa cabins getting first dibs at spa appointments and booked a 2 for 1 Rasul at embarkation ($95 for two). The Rasul was fantastic and I would highly recommend. It was a fun couples thing and my skin felt softer for days after. The hour flew by though so if you can afford to book 2 hours do it! We didn't do any other spa treatments.

Cabo/Puerto Vallarta: We got off the ship at our own pace a little later in the morning to avoid the lines. We didn't do any excursions, just wandered the city. Met a couple later in the cruise who told us they "crashed" some local resorts. Although they paid the resort fee in Puerto Vallarta ($40 for two) they were able to use the resorts pools and services as well as score some free drinks; think I will try this myself next time!

Food/Alcohol: The food, meh, I give it a 3 out of 5. Not bad but nothing spectacular. We paid the extra $30 a person, plus a $15 fee to drink our own bottle of wine in the steakhouse. Had the surf and turf, it was very good but not out of the park. I'd give it 4 out of 5. A fun experience though if you can afford it. I went to a lot of trouble to bring some extra "spirits" on board and I can tell you, don't waste your time! Days 1 and 2 they sell alcohol from the gift shop at excellent prices and it's just not necessary. Wish I had known this ahead of time. Plus it's just nice to order something right from the bar or from one of the roaming cocktail people. I'm a booze hound when I'm on vacation and I found the ship options affordable and adequate.

Kids vs. Adults: Yes I saw kids but they didn't interfere with my vacation (I am 40 and kid-less). There are plenty of adults only areas (the one next to the spa has the spa music piped in) and Carnival does a great job of keeping the kids entertained with camp carnival, the waterslides and family pools.

Seasick: YES I WAS, despite Bonine twice a day. I heard the crew complaining that 2/3 of the ship was sick all week. Not sure why it was so rough but I saw a lot of people with the little patches behind their ears and found out about the nausea wrist bands AFTER I got back. Illness ruined me for a good 2 days and I had sea legs for a solid week after returning. Not sure I'll be cruising again for this reason.

Service: I have to make a special comment that the service was by far the best part of my vacation. Our cabin steward Edwin was wonderful, and everyone (except for one slightly grouchy bartender) was smiling, helpful and pleasant. They all seemed genuinely interested in giving us a great experience. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Panorama 1051

CABIN 1051, Deck 10, Promenade: I would say YES to the spa cabins but NO to cabin 1051. It is the last of the interior rooms and closer to the middle of the ship so I chose thinking I'd feel less of the ship movement. However; this room is right next to the stewards galley for the deck and every morning at 6 a.m. I awoke to the banging of various carts being pulled out. The photograph of the cabin on the Carnival website is it, I was wondering what the rest of the room looked like but the answer is there is no more, lol (besides a bathroom and closets.) There was TONS of closet space, and with our luggage stored under the bed we had plenty of storage room. The spa ocean view's were sold out very quickly so I think getting one is rare. I almost went with a spa balcony but they were $500 more and despite several calls I never was able to con anyone into giving me one at a discount. $500 is about what we spent on our sign and sail for alcohol, gambling, the steak house etc. so I am happy with my choice to stick with an interior (plus it's nice and dark in there!) Whatever you choose, if you like going to spa's then yes yes yes, get a spa room on the Splendor!

Sammy's Cabo Wabo was fun, and the food was yummy (and no sickness followed).

Two blocks from the Cathedral/Catholic church there is a French Bistro that is wonderful. No kidding, French, great service, food and wine!