“EPIC mini cruise”

Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was a short mini-cruise with four nights on board, enough to give us a sample of on-board life and experience the "third largest cruise ship" in the world! The Norwegian EPIC has 21 dining venues and 20 bars and lounges. Every night there are lots of choice on which shows to see, which bars to visit and of course which restaurant to eat at. We had pre-booked on-line some shows and one restaurant that had been recommended to us, the rest we decided to do on board. I liked the flexibity that came with freestyle - you could enjoy your day better without having to be at a particular restaurant sitting. The check-in was very quick and effiecient, a quick inspection of our balcony cabin (very nice indeed) and then off to the buffet garden restaurant for our lunch. The buffet restaurant was very busy and we found this was always the case when the ship was at sea and at the beginning and end of the cruise. I liked the relaxed dress code throughout, so 'resort chic' is the style throughout the cruise with no need to bring a suit and tie. That evening we dined in one of the two main restaurants -- Taste and had a superb meal, in truth every meal that we had on-board was that simply superb! I particularly liked the decor in Taste though, even though it was one of the two main restaurants it feeels a lot smaller. We then took in The Blue Man show before finishing our evening at the Fat Cats live blues and jazz club. The following night we ate in The Manhattan Room, which was very big indeed! We only ate once in a speciality restaurant - Teppanyaki which was just a great experience as the chef prepares your meal in front of you whilst juggling the ingredients and their knives. Another great night was ended again in the Fat Cats club listening to the super blues musicians in Slam Allen's band. Overall I loved every meal, great quality, good choices of wines to accompany the dishes. I really enjoyed the entertainment on-board especially Slam Allen and his band - great music! I liked the relaxed atmosphere everywhere. I disliked the crowds (and the noise of a lot of people chatting all at once - especially when shows were ending), I disliked having to walk through the smokers in the casino (to get from one bar/venue/restuarant to another you often had to go through the casino). The bar-prices were steep however and without the quality to match - the Whisky Bar, for example, only had a choice of five Scotch Single Malts! Yet was called a whisky bar
Norwegian Epic Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mid-Ship Balcony

BB9193
9193 - could not fault it any way - quite small but very quiet, midway between lifts which is ideal as the lifts toward the rear of the ship are usually the less busy of them.

Port
Got into the town centre and did the little tour on the mini-train good value at 7euro per person as this takes you up to Notre Dame de la Garde and great views over the city.
Published 05/02/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Epic Review
Norwegian Epic Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?