Carnival Dream Cruise Review by NJBeast

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 9C
Spa & Fitness 5+

Crowded but just doesn't seem like it.
Having taken several Carnival cruises in the past, I do not enter a Carnival ship expecting to be overwhelmed. In fact when I book on the Carnival Dream I expected large crowds at every turn. This was not the case. I was pleasantly surprised that it was only trying to attend the nightly shows/comedy acts that realized the number of passengers.

CABIN: I booked the Aft Wrap-around balcony cabin on deck 6. It was a decent size room with a very large balcony. Large enough for 2 lounge chairs, 2 standard chairs and 2 small tables. Unfortunately, it is directly over the Burgundy Lounge/Comedy club. When the room acts as a comedy club you do not hear anything from below. However, when used a lounge, you hear and feel the BASS from the sound system. The only night this was a problem was Wednesday night when the SUPERSTARS show started at 11:45PM. Any other night with music ended by 10:30PM.

The other issue I had with the room is that whenever the ship used it maneuvering thrusters to dock, the entire room rattled. I was awakened each port day this rattling.

The cabin steward and staff were excellent. I barely knew they were around and the cabin was always made up.

FOOD: The buffet I found to be below my expectations and they were pretty low to begin with. Breakfast items were the worst unless you got an omelet which was on the small side as well. On sea days, the sushi stand doubled as a salad bar. I enjoyed a superb salad with grilled chicken there. The Lanai BBQ could be skipped in my opinion. The main dining room food was just average. The staff, however, was excellent. Our waiter upon hearing our reservation for Monday night in the steakhouse commented on how we picked a great night to go because the main dining room menu was nothing worthwhile. The other good night was Wednesday, so we went back to the Steakhouse again. The steakhouse is well worth the extra few dollars for the quality of the meal and service. 24 hour pizza and ice cream were a nice treat at 4PM while waiting for our late seating.

The only negative to the dining room staff was on the last morning waiting to leave the ship. The staff was horrendous and down right rude.

CASINO: While I did not feel anybody came away winners, most of the staff was fun and cheerful. The exception, The young male former "soviet-bloc" dealers. They were out right nasty to be around.

Publication Date: 05/02/12