Carnival Dream Cruise Review by NJBeast: Crowded but just doesn't seem like it.

NJBeast
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Crowded but just doesn't seem like it.

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Having taken several Carnival cruises in the past, I do not enter a Carnival ship expecting to be overwhelmed. In fact when I book on the Carnival Dream I expected large crowds at every turn. This was not the case. I was pleasantly surprised that it was only trying to attend the nightly shows/comedy acts that realized the number of passengers.
CABIN: I booked the Aft Wrap-around balcony cabin on deck 6. It was a decent size room with a very large balcony. Large enough for 2 lounge chairs, 2 standard chairs and 2 small tables. Unfortunately, it is directly over the Burgundy Lounge/Comedy club. When the room acts as a comedy club you do not hear anything from below. However, when used a lounge, you hear and feel the BASS from the sound system. The only night this was a problem was Wednesday night when the SUPERSTARS show started at 11:45PM. Any other night with music ended by 10:30PM.
The other issue I had with the room is that whenever the ship used it maneuvering thrusters More to dock, the entire room rattled. I was awakened each port day this rattling.
The cabin steward and staff were excellent. I barely knew they were around and the cabin was always made up.
FOOD: The buffet I found to be below my expectations and they were pretty low to begin with. Breakfast items were the worst unless you got an omelet which was on the small side as well. On sea days, the sushi stand doubled as a salad bar. I enjoyed a superb salad with grilled chicken there. The Lanai BBQ could be skipped in my opinion. The main dining room food was just average. The staff, however, was excellent. Our waiter upon hearing our reservation for Monday night in the steakhouse commented on how we picked a great night to go because the main dining room menu was nothing worthwhile. The other good night was Wednesday, so we went back to the Steakhouse again. The steakhouse is well worth the extra few dollars for the quality of the meal and service. 24 hour pizza and ice cream were a nice treat at 4PM while waiting for our late seating.
The only negative to the dining room staff was on the last morning waiting to leave the ship. The staff was horrendous and down right rude.
CASINO: While I did not feel anybody came away winners, most of the staff was fun and cheerful. The exception, The young male former "soviet-bloc" dealers. They were out right nasty to be around. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Upper 6479

Aft Wrap-around balcony cabin on deck 6. It was a decent size room with a very large balcony. Large enough for 2 lounge chairs, 2 standard chairs and 2 small tables. Unfortunately, it is directly over the Burgundy Lounge/Comedy club. When the room acts as a comedy club you do not hear anything from below. However, when used a lounge, you hear and feel the BASS from the sound system. The only night this was a problem was Wednesday night when the SUPERSTARS show started at 11:45PM. Any other night with music ended by 10:30PM. The other issue I had with the room is that whenever the ship used it maneuvering thrusters to dock, the entire room rattled. I was awakened each port day this rattling.

Cave tubing: very good time. water level was pretty low so it was not as much fun as it could have been. Other tour operators in a rush to push thru the maximum number of visitors also detracted from this being an A+ time.

Usual shopping huts. A few good deals.

Cave Tour

(4)
Excellent excursion. Must be able to step up and down rocks and crouch down. No weight limit listed on website but there is one on the on-board paperwork. Had argument with excursion desk about difference in requirements but it was clarified with operator and their was not an issue. Worst part of excursion is just getting there and back. 30-45 minute ferry ride to mainland then 45 min bus ride on rough road. Rough seas going to mainland and storm heading back made many ferry riders seasick. Yet, ferry crew was still pushing tequila shots and beer. Would have given excursion a 5+ otherwise.

The Black Pearl Golf Course: Totally unorganized and rushed thru the whole round. This could have been a much better excursion. Steady downpour for the last 3 holes and very late van pick-up back to the ship are major detractors.
Read 1651 Roatan Reviews