Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by cookie_cutie

Member Name: cookie_cutie
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: ID
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
1st Time Cruisers - Will be going again!
My boyfriend (25) and I (28) went on the Norwegian Sun on our first ever cruise April 14-21. This was the ships last cruise before it made its way to Europe. We had an interior stateroom with no window on Deck 9 and was conveniently located two decks below the Garden Cafe buffet and the Great Outdoors buffet as well as the Sports Bar.

First off the food was awesome - we dined most days/nights in the buffet and enjoyed the fabulous wings in the sports bar in the late evening. We dined in Four Seasons twice and enjoyed the flexibility in going to dine when we wanted to.

We did dine at the Steakhouse - I was not all that impressed by it. I had steak in the Four Seasons both times and it was just as good as the steak house - I would not recommend paying the cover charge to have it. As well when we read the description of the steak house it stated there was a pick your own lobster tank - which was false - they charged an extra 8 bucks on top of the 25 for the restaurant. We were dismayed when we received our bill as we had made our reservation online for 15/each and when I inquired at the reservation desk if we would be charged 25 or 15 (which was a deciding factor in us dining at the steakhouse) I was told it would be what we were quoted online. We were told by a supervisor that the online price was only if you prepaid not pre reserved which was not clearly communicated. I have yet to pursue this further with Norwegian but will be forwarding a complaint to the company.

We did the speedboating in Cozumel - It was an alright excursion however the private beach area we were at was not suitable for swimming/snorkelling. The experience itself was good however I would not be doing it again.

We went off on our own in Georgetown and took a cab to 7 mile beach. We paid $5/each each way to the private area of the beach - When we were returning we were pressured off the beach by a cab driver that was stating he was leaving only to be brought to an empty bus and made to wait while he tried to collect more passengers to make his trip worth while after he had taken our money (rookie mistake on our part). Luckily a co-passenger was irritated by this practice and got us on our way after 10 min and a partially filled bus.

We went to Dunns River Falls and the Bobsled at Mystic mountain in Ocho Rios. I was not prepared for the tour - I expected a guide throughout each activity - however the bus dropped us at mystic mountain where we went up the chair lift and on the bobsled at our own pace and then waited for other people to join us for the bus to Dunns River Falls. I would definitely recommend this excursion.

In Great Stirrup Cay (Norwegian's Private Island) I enjoyed snorkelling and the availability of beach chairs. We did not enjoy the large buffet as it appeared a rain storm might be joining us so we decided to cut our stay short on the island and take the tender back to the boat.

We did not have problems disembarking on any day.

Publication Date: 04/30/12