Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by cookie_cutie: 1st Time Cruisers - Will be going again!

cookie_cutie
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

1st Time Cruisers - Will be going again!

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My boyfriend (25) and I (28) went on the Norwegian Sun on our first ever cruise April 14-21. This was the ships last cruise before it made its way to Europe. We had an interior stateroom with no window on Deck 9 and was conveniently located two decks below the Garden Cafe buffet and the Great Outdoors buffet as well as the Sports Bar.

First off the food was awesome - we dined most days/nights in the buffet and enjoyed the fabulous wings in the sports bar in the late evening. We dined in Four Seasons twice and enjoyed the flexibility in going to dine when we wanted to.

We did dine at the Steakhouse - I was not all that impressed by it. I had steak in the Four Seasons both times and it was just as good as the steak house - I would not recommend paying the cover charge to have it. As well when we read the description of the steak house it stated there was a pick your own lobster tank - which was false - they charged an extra 8 bucks on top of the 25 for the restaurant. More We were dismayed when we received our bill as we had made our reservation online for 15/each and when I inquired at the reservation desk if we would be charged 25 or 15 (which was a deciding factor in us dining at the steakhouse) I was told it would be what we were quoted online. We were told by a supervisor that the online price was only if you prepaid not pre reserved which was not clearly communicated. I have yet to pursue this further with Norwegian but will be forwarding a complaint to the company.

We did the speedboating in Cozumel - It was an alright excursion however the private beach area we were at was not suitable for swimming/snorkelling. The experience itself was good however I would not be doing it again.

We went off on our own in Georgetown and took a cab to 7 mile beach. We paid $5/each each way to the private area of the beach - When we were returning we were pressured off the beach by a cab driver that was stating he was leaving only to be brought to an empty bus and made to wait while he tried to collect more passengers to make his trip worth while after he had taken our money (rookie mistake on our part). Luckily a co-passenger was irritated by this practice and got us on our way after 10 min and a partially filled bus.

We went to Dunns River Falls and the Bobsled at Mystic mountain in Ocho Rios. I was not prepared for the tour - I expected a guide throughout each activity - however the bus dropped us at mystic mountain where we went up the chair lift and on the bobsled at our own pace and then waited for other people to join us for the bus to Dunns River Falls. I would definitely recommend this excursion.

In Great Stirrup Cay (Norwegian's Private Island) I enjoyed snorkelling and the availability of beach chairs. We did not enjoy the large buffet as it appeared a rain storm might be joining us so we decided to cut our stay short on the island and take the tender back to the boat.

We did not have problems disembarking on any day. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 9142

Good storage space. Cupboards were noisy when ship was going to port. Room steward was great. TVs could be updated.Would not want to stay more than 2 to this room.

Jet Boat Tour

(4)
Guide was great and had enough time on boat. Disappointed by the private beach area. Really wanted to snorkel. (locker was three bucks)

Beware of cab drivers taking advantage of you to go to the beach.

Great snorkelling. Buffet looked great however we went back to the boat before we had a chance to dive in. lots of hard rocky areas be sure to wear shoes when not walking on the beach area right at the water front. Lots of lounge chairs and did not find it to be crowded - however it was quite cloudy, windy and the sky threatened rain the day we were in port here so not sure if that discouraged other passengers from going ashore in the event we had to battle to get back on a tender to the boat.

Bobsled Tour

(4)
Bobsled was exciting however short when you go down full speed! Did not explore too much more at mystic mountain. Be prepared for a long chair lift to the top. amazing views of the ship and the ocean.

Dunn's River Falls

(5.5)
If you've never climbed a water fall - it was so cool! Bring good water shoes or you can rent or buy them on site (not sure on cost). it will cost you 5 bucks for a locker (8 up front)