Carnival Legend Cruise Review by mellowyellow03

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Legend Cruise Review by mellowyellow03
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: mellowyellow03
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 8J

Not Impressed
First time I've written a review here..so bear with me. We've been on several cruises and I have to say, this was the worst one! There were 6 of us, (3 couples) and one of the girls had never cruised before.

Checking in was fairly quick, then we had to wait for 2 hours to board. We were told it was because of the time change, that most passengers did not set their watches or alarms forward and so they over slept. REALLY?? So, we sat and waited. When we finally were allowed to board, it was like herding cattle. People were shoving and pushing. Unbelievable.

We got on board and went up to the Lido deck to eat. The food was awful, no variety very bland, and there was no where to sit. The crew in the Lido were not happy to see us. Our cabin was nice, over sized balcony, lots of closet space, a bath tub/shower & separate vanity area. We went to Muster. I was expecting it to be a little more serious in light of the Concordia disaster, but it really wasn't. People were on their phones, talking, laughing, not paying attention at all. And the crew member at our muster station was off in la-la land. I did see another crew member take a bucket of beer from a passenger and tell him he could get it back after the drill. CUDOS TO THAT CREW MEMBER!! Like I said, one our party had never cruised and she really wanted to hear the safety drill, but couldn't because of the rude passengers and lack of authority by the crew member.

Our friends had chose the MY Time Dining, which I'm not a fan of, but went along with it. Still don't like it. We waited in line for 40 to 45 minutes to get a table. And then food was not good at all. It was cold and had no flavor. Our liquor bill on this cruise was probably the cheapest it's ever been. The bars were never open. The only one open most of the time was the pool bar, but we didn't like going out there because the music was too loud and awful. I'm not saying the singer was bad...but the sound system was terrible. It sounded like she was screaming the songs at us. The other singer only sang slow, mellow songs. Kinda put you to sleep! So much for a 'fun ship'.

We went to a show in the theater one night. I ordered A (1) beer. The guy brought me a bucket of beers. I told him I only wanted one and he argued with me! Told me it was a better deal to get the bucket!! He did the same thing to our friends. He would not take it back. So, I drank the ONE I wanted, and put the others in the fridge in our cabin and had them when I wanted. I would've forced the issue, but we had already gone to guest service just to ask a question and found those crew members to be in a bad mood as well. So, I just blew it off. Which brings me to tipping. I don't mind tipping, we tip very well. But I should have the choice to tip or not or how much I want to tip. This automatic gratuity just ticks me off. I understand the crew work very hard. I also know that some people DO NOT tip at all, and that is not right. I just think as a consumer, I should have the right to tip at my discretion and in accordance with the service provided.

The decor of the ship was dark and depressing to me. Way too much "legend' decor. As for entertainment...it was lacking also. The comedy shows were good, but that was about all there was to do. Sea days were kinda boring.

Getting off the ship was another issue. We went to our designated lounge area at our designated time to wait for our number to be called. Again, no seats. We had to wait for 45 minutes to an hour because some NON-US citizens did not report to immigration as required, which held up clearing the ship for debarkation. The bridge kept calling for them to report and finally security started looking for them. Passengers were getting testy because they had flights to catch. They were finally found, cleared and we were allowed to get off the ship. We had a good time with our friends, but the one who had never cruised was very disappointed and said she probably would never cruise again. We love to cruise. We do prefer Royal Caribbean, but just recently took the Azamara Journey on the Titanic Memorial Cruise. Now THAT was a FINE cruise!!

I received a customer service survey from Carnival, which I filled out and basically told them the same things. Still have not heard from anyone regarding the concerns. And probably won't.

Publication Date: 04/25/12