Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by 860mla

Cabin Category: 4A
Cabin Number: R94
        16+ 1.0

Disappointed
Booked this cruise during spring vacation week with my daughter for her 16th birthday. I booked the least expensive cabin and I'm glad I did because I didn't have a problem with the room, but mostly with the food and one of the ports.

First, the food: I think it is about par with my work cafeteria food, though the buffet is just gross, I recommend doing the sit down meal whenever possible. At least the food hasn't been sitting out. We did anytime seating which worked out well for us only had to wait less than 20 minutes two of the nights. Thankfully, this wasn't a romantic cruise because the tables for two are about 2 feet (or less) apart. I just found the food bland and very, very average. Absolutely nothing to rave about. The food service was OK. We had one waiter for the last two nights and he was wonderful, but everyone else was forgettable. The bar service took forever in the dining room. My daughter did love the pizza at the 24-hour pizza station, but there was always a line.

Which brings me to my next peeve: Waiting in line. It seems you waste half the cruise waiting: for embarkment, for disembarkment, for food, for elevators. We took the stairs as much as possible.

Another problem, in my opinion, was the lack of free fitness classes. Only two free classes, 7am abs and 7:30am stretching. They also had yoga and spinning for $12. The gym was nice, though, but nowhere to stretch if the fitness room was in use for a class, which was pretty much all morning.

We took advantage of all the portrait studios, but alas, the lighting was off in almost all the pictures. These are not professional photographers. I think the outdoor ones leaving the ship at port came out better.

Now Ports-of-Call: We went to Freeport and Nassau. I have absolutely NO IDEA why the cruise line stops in Freeport. It was a dump. They had warned us (on the boat) that the port was not very "pretty". That was an understatement. So, we took a wild, 20 minute cab riding (after waiting forever for them to "fill up the bus" to Junkanoo Beach Club. It was very unremarkable. I wish we had just stayed on the ship.

Nassau was much, much better and I wish we had just docked there for two days.

The day at sea was OK, but I would've liked to have seen more fun outdoor activities. I don't want to sit inside when it's beautiful out. I would've liked to seen a DJ on deck during the day to dance. I admit it was difficult to find things that both my daughter and I could do together. Although she's mature, she was not allowed at the Serenity deck because she was under 21. She was also not allowed at the dance club because it was 18+. So, we were in our cabin sleeping every night by 10:30.

I admit that maybe I'm just not into cruising, but the last cruise I took the food was amazing and the food on Carnival Sensation was like cafeteria food. Sorry, Carnival, I won't be cruising with you again.

Publication Date: 04/25/12