Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by ebhs79: Pretty Awesome

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Pretty Awesome

Sail Date: April 2012

Keep in mind - this was my first cruise. So, I have no frame of reference and nothing to compare it to. But, I have to say - it was amazing. The ship is beautiful, the level of service we received was fabulous. In the entire week, I encountered only one employee who was surly. And, I was almost always pleasantly surprised by the level of friendliness that we encountered from each employee - from store clerks to bartenders to cabin stewards - they all smiled and said hello and made eye contact.

Now - I've heard a lot of complaints about the food in the MDR. While I'm not a gourmet, I enjoyed almost all the dishes we had. Some were fabulous, and some were just OK. In fact, the much lauded onion tart was not amazing. But, it was fine. On the other hand, the filet of beef was tender and delicious! I found the potion sizes perfect. They appeared small, but really they were exactly right. As a rather light eater, I was able to finish everything on my plate. And isn't that the point? More To eat everything that you want and not waste food? After all, had I wanted more food after eating that first plate, the waiter would have brought me more! But, I didn't. An appetizer, main course, and dessert were a perfect amount of food.I traveled with my 13 year old son. I do feel that the teen club was poorly run. My son enjoyed himself, but the stories he told about what went on in the club made me very concerned. There were multiple games of "Truth or Dare' which had the teens being pantsed, kissing strangers, and discussing sexual exploits. I also understand that there might have been some drug use. Yes, I know that these were activities NOT sanctioned by the ship, but neither were they monitored or refereed by the teen club employees. I really feel that there should have been more oversight there.

There was so much to do on the ship that there was almost no need to disembark at the ports. But, we did. Well, we did at the first two, not the third. We had a great time at the zip line in Haiti and at Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. It should be noted that the Dunns Falls climb is actually rather difficult to do. The pictures I had seen made it all seem rather tame, but it's not. I would have fallen several times, had the man next to me in line not saved me. Don't expect a touristy, safe experience here. It's enjoyable, but much more difficult than I had expected.

Our cabin, while small, was adequate. There were sufficient shelves and cubbies to store out belongings. The closet had a double bar, allowing you to hang quite a lot of clothing in there. The shower was so small that it was difficult to jut my elbows out to wash my hair, but it wasn't impossible. The television set was huge, and the available stations were more than adequate. I enjoyed watching some of the ship's stations, covering the day's activities onboard and such.Finally, my son has food allergies. And, although we discussed them in detail with our waiter and head waiter on the first day, and had filed the special need form well in advance of the cruise, after that first day, no notice was made of his allergies at all. In fact, I had to ask the waiter at every meal if the food choices that my son made were free from allergens, and in each case he didn't know and said he'd have to check. And, the one time that I was sick and unable to come to dinner, the waiter NEVER checked, and might even have brought my son food to which he was allergic. He never had a reaction, so perhaps I am mistaken. But my son ordered a dish with pesto (not knowing what pesto is), and it normally contains pine nuts - to which my son is allergic. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Central Park view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 10

Cabin 11233- Central Park View. We didn't have much of a view of Central Park, but having a balcony was nice. With the door open it was quite noisy, but with it shut you could barely hear outside noise. Our beds were by the balcony door, and the sofa was near the closet.

We really enjoyed our excursion to the Jamaican Bobsled Run and Dunns River Falls. But we were so rushed on our return, since the excursion ran late and we had early seating for dinner, that we didn't get to wander the port area.
Read 476 Falmouth Reviews

The beaches were lovely, and the zipline was really fun. But, I would have preferred if the transportation possiblities were explained. I kept seeing vehicles carrying people down the beach, but it was unclear if they were heading to excursions, or if they were just catching a ride to a far-away beach. Also, the vendors were quite aggressive.
Read 357 Labadee Reviews