Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by CruiseFanFlorida12

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by CruiseFanFlorida12
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: CruiseFanFlorida12
Cruise Date: April 2012
Cabin Category: L

Don't make the same mistake! Avoid the Oasis!
Went on the Oasis of the Seas with my family. We had two cabins during our cruise. The cabin was nicely decorated, but the layout of the bedding made it difficult to move around the cabin. The stateroom attendant, Joseph Ramos (Phillipines), was very helpful and always there to help!

The dining aboard the Oasis of the Seas was disappointing. My family and I dined at the Opus, level 3 dining room and were not pleased with the food items. The food lacked flavor and the menus were not appealing. The server and server assistant were both great and did go out of there way to help us when we dined with them. Unfortunately, we did not dine every night at Opus due to the disappointing menus and food. Dean(Jamaica) and Melcome (India) were both great. It's Royal Caribbean's intent to make you want to dine at their specialty restaurants...which were worth paying for. That said, it is such a large ship, that you cannot always get reservations to dine at the specialty restaurants.

The Cruise Director, Ricky Matthews, was the worst cruise director I had ever had aboard a cruise ship. Mr. Matthews was having something delivered to my room and I had to follow up with him 4 times before it was delivered. He was obviously embarrassed and advised me that his secretary had informed him that it had already been delivered. In addition, there was not enough activities on Days at Sea. Being such a large ship, you need to have a lot to offer in order to keep everyone busy and entertained. He lacked this experience on our cruise. Times for zip lines and rock climbing did not reflect what was listed on the cruise navigator. We went on several occasions to rock climb and they closed early with no notice or reason.

The Comedy Show was a huge disappointment. The host accused my brother and I of being homosexuals and the second invited comedian had no jokes, so made his whole act out of my family. This was an embarrassing and not funny experience.

The Central Park area is nice but also a dangerous spot if it rains during your cruise. Even with slip resistant shoes, I had difficulty walking through the area when the floor was wet. I almost fell and saw many people do the same. Of course, Royal Caribbean covers their end by posting wet floor signs. These signs were often left throughout the day even without rain.

The Spa experience was not a pleasant one. I did the shave and facial special that was offered on the day of the Captain's Night Dinner. I left the treatment with a black and blue nose. So, I paid to look better and came out looking worst. As a frequent cruiser and spa guest, I was disappointed because I had never had such a poor experience.

My family and I went on 3 shore excursions.

The St. John Island Tour was a brief narrated tour around the island with information on how to plan your NEXT vacation to St. John. The tour started with an boat ride to the island and then we boarded a TAXI with a driver that only spoke when he would stop the taxi. We had 3 stops, in which, he spoke about how to plan the next trip to St. John. He also discouraged the use of a cruise for the next visit.

The St. Maarten Island Tour was an enjoyable tour with an actual island tour and a stop for shopping, too.

The Nassau Island Tour was another poor experience of a tour. The tour began more than 1 hour after we checked in with the guide. Bus #750 driver Eldridge was rude, disrespectful, and accusing some American travelers of not knowing how to speak English. So, the tour started late and ended short because the driver did not want to deal with traffic in the Bahamas.

The Dreamworks Character Experience was very dissapointing! On Day #2, families had dining with the characters. When everyone arrived, they were told as they were being seated, that there was no character breakfast on that morning. Everyone was dissapointed. We did not dine with Shrek and the characters because of this change in plans by the cruise.

When going to take pictures with the characters on the ship, there was no organization with lines and meet and greet. Definitely not a Disney World or Universal Studios meet and greet experience.

All said, it was a poor cruising experience and I will NEVER cruise with Royal Caribbean again. The World's Largest Ship was the World's Largest Disappointment for my family and I. This was our first family vacation in 4 years and we had a miserable time.

Publication Date: 04/25/12