Carnival Dream Cruise Review by JWMiddleton: Same as smaller ship, just bigger...

JWMiddleton
0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Same as smaller ship, just bigger...

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My wife had wanted to take a cruise on the Dream as she thought it would be very flashy and fancy being the newest and biggest in the Carnival Fleet. As I suspected it was just a larger version of the other ships. They added many more cabins, but didn't increase the public space enough. Carnival is a budget cruise line and very good value for the money. If you keep that in mind you will not be disappointed.

The cabins are bigger than those of the smaller ship and as I explained below we really liked our cabin.

Food and entertainment was as expect. I enjoyed the new selection on the menu called "Didja." Each night they had an exotic starter item that most people have never tried and many didn't then. Some examples were Alligator Fritters, Frog Legs and Shark & Langoustino rolls. They also added a "Comfort Food" item each day.

What I was most impressed with was how polite, happy, nice and helpful the staff was! I've been surprised that other reviewers did More not find this to be the case. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Oceanview Riviera 1366

We were in cabin 1366. It was an oceanview cabin on the Rivera deck. This is the lowest passenger deck. The room was wonderful, it actually spoiled us! We had the usual 2 bed, push together to make a king. There was a couch that made into a bed if needed and best of all TWO bathrooms! There was plent of closet and drawer space. There was some engin room noise, but it acted like a white noise machine to mask other sounds.

Sea World Explorer

(3)
A bus rode us around Nassau and stopped at a few places where souvenirs are sold. The driver was nice and told us a bit about many of the sites we drove by. This same route is avail as a free walking tour if you google it. He dropped us back at the port and we boarded a boat that took us to the "mini-sub." We saw some fish when we got to the reef, but either the windows were dirty or the water was cloudy. The best part of the whole tour was the boat ride out to catch the sub. We saw some really nice private home that fronted the water on Paradise Island.

We took the Explorer Cruise & Island Tour as an excursion from Carnival that left from the dock in Philipsburg. Our objective was to see both side of the island. We started with a bus ride in a very nice air conditioned bus. The driver told us a lot about the island as we traversed from the Dutch to the French side, this took about an hour. The bus dropped us in Marigot where we were given an hour to shop before the boat departed. Most just hung around the marina until the boat left, with a few eating in the expensive restaurants facing the marina. The double-decker boat took us across Simpson Bay Lagoon where we re-boarded a bus for the ride back to dock. We saw a lot of really nice resorts and homes on the very big lagoon. Overall it was a nice way to see the island, but the shopping stop was a waste to me.

Island Tour

(3)
We like to take excursions that help us to get to know the area. I especially like learning about the history of a stop. For this excursion we boarded a bus that drove around a bit, taking us to the highest point on the island. We stopped where many locals had set up stalls to sell souvenirs. Getting back on the bus, we drove to a spot close by where we had an excellent vista of Magen's Bay. Then we drove down to Magen's Bay where we had a couple hours of beach time. This bay is said to be one of the top 10 beaches in the world. My wife loved it, but it was crowded and all of the lounge chairs were taken. Since we were gone over lunch time, we bought a greasy and expensive slice of pizza to get us by until we returned to the ship. When we left the bay, they took to Blackbeard's Castle. We were not impressed. We were turned loose with a map of the site and had to walk down a LOT of steps (99 to be exact) to get to where we had to hire a taxi to get back to the ship. What I had assumed was a tour of the island was simply the road to get over ridge to the bay. I'd suggest finding another way to get the Magen's Bay and not use the ship's excursion.