Silver Whisper Cruise Review by rshullman

Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: St. Petersburg
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: VR
See More About: Silver Whisper Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Silversea Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Silver Whisper Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Silver Whisper Deck Plans
What Happened to Silversea
Arrived at the prescribed dock in Stockholm, ship was not there. Discovered it was at another dock in a different part of the port. Finally arrived at the correct location after $100 frantic cab drive and was informed that they could not get into the dock we had been advised to use. Many other passengers with the same problem. I asked the service mgr to reimburse the$100 and he advised that he would take it up with upper mgmt. Five days later, I asked him what was going on and he replied that it was n the works. Several days later I inquired again and was told it was taken care of. Mind you during the entire process I initiated contact. Not once did the ship try to contact passengers who had the wrong dock issue and never was any offer to compensate anyone made. AT the end of the cruise when I discussed all my issues with the hotel mgr, I was informed that the ship had, in fact, a rep at the wrong dock to assist which is a total lie. I had to go into the terminal and get a terminal employee to research the problem. All the other passengers I spoke to confirmed that there was no rep there.

All food other than in the champagne room was marginal at best. This is an Italian ship and they could not prepare al dente pasta. One day I watched a cook prepare lunch pasta with pesto from a JAR. Service in the lunch buffet is very badly done. Many waiters meeting people at the buffet area exit and then carrying the passengers' plates to the table. However, nearly impossible to get service at the table as all the waiters are busy carrying plates. Perfect example of form over function and lousy service.

Included wines offered at the meals were only passable. Also, one evening we had dinner with another couple and when we ordered a second bottle, we were informed they we "out". Not correct. On further questioning, turns out the wine is locked up and the wine steward cannot get to it. We insisted and they delivered the bottle.

Understanding how to handle a complaint is missing. Had an issue with delivery of breakfast , mentioned it to a supervisor(very nice young man) and within a few minutes the waiter came up to me and apologized. I have thick skin and it did not embarrass me but I know most others would be embarrassed. Supervisor does not understand how to use discretion.

Salt shakers do not work until you complain and they adjust them. Goes on every meal, every room, every day.

Happy hour hot hors d'oeuvres served on pool deck are left out without any source of heat and are cold within minutes. Yet they are being served 30 feet away from the pool kitchen, which is open.

Silversea makes a big deal about their butler service. One afternoon while I was napping in my bed and Diane was using the bathroom, she heard a knock on the bathroom door, opened it assuming it was me, but it was really the butler. So there she was, topless facing the butler!

Discovered that the ship was charging each passenger $1/day for a donation to the ship owner's foundation to fund cancer research, as his daughter died from cancer. If you chose not to contribute you had to opt out. I run into this more and more these days and I would have to say that either those using this tactic are brain dead and do not understand how embarrassed people can be when being put in a position of saying they do NOT want to contribute OR they choose to use this tactic knowing that most people will be reluctant to speak up. This incident alone would have been enough to convince me to never use Silversea again.

Was in the hot tub one afternoon with two others who were basically strangers and when the topic of the cruise came up, both(repeat customers) told me it was going to be their last Silversea cruise and that they had spoken to others they knew who were not returning.

There were a reasonable number of travel agents on board and they were receiving the royal treatment, including a full time Silversea's employee accompanying them. Everyone found this offensive because they were having all kinds of service problems.

We used Denrus tours in St. Pete and they were terrific and half the price of the ships tours. All the passengers I spoke to told me they had decided to use the ship as they were frightened by the commentary regarding "problems"(visas, getting through passports,etc) with other tour companies. This is total bs and a terrible way to do business. Two people paying upwards of $12-15,000 exclusive of tours should not be getting gouged and lied to.

The list goes on and on and I am not going to bore you with the details. However, one final problem. On the last day I discussed all my issues with the hotel manager who was very attentive and taking notes but I was dumbfounded when I declared I would not return that he never asked what he could do to change my mind. This guy was a hotel manager for many years???? Hard to believe but true.

Publication Date: 04/25/12