Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by jnap1210: Silhouette - Cabin 1665 and Experiences

jnap1210
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Silhouette - Cabin 1665 and Experiences

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Other

I will give a chronological accounting of the trip.

We arrive early - about 11:30 - as we like to board early. The boarding was very smooth. From drop off to boarding in under 20 minutes.

Once onboard, the Oceanview Cafe was jammed. Only seating was outside, and that was due to the weather being inclement. Food was readily available and quite good, but the seating was not available.

The Cabin

We booked the S1 on the corner on a previous cruise. Nobody mentioned that there was a column in the middle of the room. This is located next to the bed on the left side. It was easy to get used to, but a mention of it would have been nice.

The veranda does wrap around a little bit and is bigger than the normal verandas. This was quite pleasant. Lounge chairs and a table.

The closet can handle 1 suitcase to store, but the long pants or other clothing will be hitting it. The other suitcase would not fit under the bed. More

The bathroom could use a shelf, maybe above the commode.

The bed was very comfortable. Real thick bedding, not small mattresses.

We really enjoyed the veranda on sea days.

Grand Cuvee - the Main Dining Room

Beautiful. We sat next to the Wine Tower. The decor, seating, tables, all an elegant. Just what we like.

We ate there 9 nights. Each meal was very good to excellent, except for 2 problems. First, I ordered a medium rare filet mignon. It came back medium, and when asked by the waiter I told him this was not medium rare. He looked concerned and shot back to the kitchen to get another one. I told him not not, but he went right off. The ensuing 5 filets came back ranging from black and blue to med well. This could not be gotten correct. The assist Maitre D even came over and took note. I received a phone call in my room telling me they are aware of the problem and will take appropriate action. The next night both the Assit Maitre D and the Sous Chef that cooked the steak came out to apologize. I bring this up to show the real concern they take over even the simplest problem.

The second problem was the Steak Tartare. I bit into a piece of bone that I may have cracked a tooth on. Again major concern, and when I check with my dentist, Celebrity said they would take care of things. Again, a stand up thing to do. I bring this up to show that.

Specialty Restaurants

We went to QSine, Tuscan and Murano.

Qsine - go hungry. The items were all delicious. We especially liked the BBQ egg rolls, the sliders and the sushi lollipops. As this is "to share" restaurant, we reviewed the items on the iPad - it showed pictures and even videos of the food. The waiter takes the order off the iPad. He suggested we start with 6 items and order more. We felt we found 7. Well after the 6th (actually the 5th) we had enough and tapped out. Again, go hungry!!!

Tuscan. We live in the NYC area and go to Little Italy - Mulberry Street often. This could be dropped right into the center and would hold its own, maybe even a little better. The service, the antipasti, the pasta - I had the lobster fettuccine (delicious) the entree' (I had the veal chop my wife had the steak. Could have stayed there all night and should have gone back more times. Our favorite.

Murano. This was a great disappointment. We thought we saved the best for last. I started with the lobster bisque. I work in midtown NYC and have grown to know lobster bisque as creamy with lobster. What was served was watery and lobster flavor. I could not finish it. The next appetizer was the foie gras. This was exceptional. I ordered the lobster, which is prepared tableside. It was over done - chewy. Then came the desserts. We tried the sampler. A 6 shot glass serving of various desserts. One being creme brulee. The problem here is that the creme brulee was flavored with rose water. So much so that it tasted of bathroom spray. I alerted the waiter to this and he said he told the chef the same thing, but was told to serve it anyway. The waiter should have at least warned us. This was one time, and it may fair, but it is what it is.

The Porch

A panini and soup place. An extra charge of $5 pp. Very good, fresh salads and soup.

The Alcoves

These are large cabana style seating areas. They each come with a cushioned couch and 2 cushioned chairs,a table, and charging stations for 2 devices. Also an iPad, but you need to use your WIFI minutes if you wish to go online. It comes with fresh fruit and cheese platters along with lunch from the aforementioned Porch included. It does cost $149 on sea days and $99 in port. But they also rent them out for parts of the day as well. A great place to kick back and relax outside. It is on the lawn hence grass is under your feet. Beautiful.

Excursions

We did 2.

Lord Sheffield - in St Maarten. A 78 foot tall ship. It takes you to a nice spot to snorkel. We experienced a sunken helicopter and submarine. Also a BBQ lunch on the ship. Very nice but a bit over crowded. The max they took was 25, but 20 would be better.

Antigua Beach Extravaganza

Now when a luxury cruise line - as Celebrity is - advertises an Extravaganza I have high hopes. I was greatly disappointed. we were herded to a small section of beach, 3 rows of lounge chairs that have seen better days. All of which were ontop of each other. The walk to to beach was also treacherous as the broken cement walkway needs repair. They rent umbrellas for $10, they have also seen better days. What made it even worse is that is was next door to the Sandals Resort and they had a beautiful stretch of beach, chairs and umbrellas.

Disembarkation.

Went smoothly. out time was 9 and we were off the ship by 9:10.

Please accept this review as absolutely positive with a few minor concerns/problems. We had a fanatastic time and have booked this ship again next year - same cabin with the pole and all!! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>