Zuiderdam Cruise Review by hypercafe: Trip to see the canal

Compare Prices on Zuiderdam Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Trip to see the canal

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

This was our 30+ cruise, 4 on HAL. I chose this for the itinerary as I always wanted to see the canal. Well we got there and it was a great sight to see. To think that man built this from a swamp 100 years ago is awesome.

The ship. The Zuiderdam is a very nice size ship, easy to get around in with a very nice pass to size ratio. The interior of the ship is what you would expect, some ware and tare with areas in need of a spruce up. Most of the wicker look alike stuff on the outside should be put in a dumpster ASAP. The aft pool deck had one hot tub out and one 50/50. The lounge chairs looked like they came from a dumpster. There is some sort of AC problem as parts of the ship is OK and parts are very hot. Also the ship seems stuck in the 60,s to me. That's the decor and I am sure lots like it alto I did not care for it.

The Crew. They were great in all areas. We were a party of 8, I found the service in the MDR to be very slow. The waiter was running around best he More could. He said 8 people were just cut there.

Food. Was as you would expect, I call it wedding food. Some things very good others so so. Nothing was bad or had to be sent back. We really liked the Lido and the Italian Rest. Alto the Pinnacle was good, I would expect this level in the MDR, it was not worth the up charge. What you got extra was lots of dinnerware, glasses and plates. When I asked for lobster and steak they wanted another 10$.

Entertainment. Saw most of it, all was good. I miss the ships band at the shows as HAL uses caned music. I find that to be very tacky.

Overall. Loved the itinerary however I would not chose this ship again. Less

Read more Zuiderdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zuiderdam Review >>

Cabin review: Zuiderdam Superior Verandah Suite Verandah 6077

Very large with plenty of storage. Bath was great with whirlpool tub and stall shower. Two sinks with lots of storage. Bed and linens were very nice. Full size couch. Great balcony. In a quite location.

We took a local cab ride around the place
Read 682 Aruba Reviews

Bar Hop

(5)
Took a local cab tour of Island and then bar hopping tour. Both were lots of fur, had a great day

Just walked around, very nice and safe island with very nice shopping
Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

The only reason the ship stops here is to pick up the excursion people. There is nothing here at all. I rated this a 5+ because of the canal. It was awesome to be up in the bow at 5:30am to see the breakwater come in view, go through the bay and up to the locks. This was the reason I came and it was well worth it.

Just walked around, saw the floating bridge and market. Place seemed a little unsafe
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

I feel this is the best of all the private Islands, fine white sand beach and beautiful clear water. I think it has gotten too built up since we were first there 12 years ago. sort of looks like a water park.

Sloth Sanctuary

(4)
There is nothing where the ship stops expect a straw market so if you want to get off take a tour. I seemed very unsafe to walk around on your own. Tour was OK, went to a zoo like place and saw a few animals native to there. This port should be skipped and instead go to Key West.