Oosterdam 4

“Nice Cruise but be prepared for the upsell”
Cruise review of Holland America Oosterdam

Vibratone64
Member Since 2012

Overall Member Rating

We were fairly impressed by the Oosterdam, in that it is a beautiful ship with nice decor. I expected it to be tacky from the other reviews but did not find it so. Everything looked very modern and functional. I especially like the glass elevators on the outside of the ship that traveled between decks at midships.
The pools are large and one could actually swim laps in them. The hot tubs were clean and generally warm but not really hot. The central pool deck covers when the weather is poor making it quite comfortable to sit at even when the weather doesn't cooperate. There were lots of nice nooks and crannies to sit and read in a sheltered area.
The Lido deck has the different buffets: Entrees, Dessert, Drinks, Asian and Italian. This changes at the different meal times. We ate supper in the Vista Dining lounge and found the food to be excellent, and the service was doting. I felt it would have been nice to have a little more seafood such as lobster or crab but, More nonetheless it was very tasty.
The shows at night were entertaining, but not amazing. At least they try to entertain you so you have to give them some credit.
I was not impressed by the activities because they seemed to be all about upselling you products rather than just giving you information or an activity to do. I was not please to find that they charged extra to use the steam rooms, hot pool and sauna- they wanted $100 for four days. This was included in the Carnival cruise.
The port we stopped at was quite limited with very few activities unless you wanted to pay to do the usual whale watching, kayaking etc.
Other than that we enjoyed ourselves. This would be a good cruise for just relaxing as long as you don't get bored to easily. Less

Oosterdam Cruises to British Columbia

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Interior Stateroom

I
Very comfortable cabins with enough room and a comfortable bed. The standard cabin was more than enough for us.

Very fast and trouble free embarkation. So much faster than Vancouver, that it seemed effortless and no waiting in long lines.

Published 04/24/12

Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review

Oosterdam Cruises to British Columbia

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?