Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by mompoole: What? No Escargo?

mompoole
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean Cruises

What? No Escargo?

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Other

Departure port is Bayonne, N.J. Being from Central Virginia and having to drive on the New Jersey Turnpike was a cultural shock. The tolls alone put a drain on our E-Z pass.

We are arrived in Bayonne a day before departure and checked into the Wyndham Newark Bayonne Cruiseport. Do not be deceived. The night's stay was reasonable, rooms accomdating, and you can park your car on the hotel lot while you're cruising...HOWEVER.......the cost of a cab for a 5 minute ride to the ship is $65.00!! (Note: the reverse ride....> Ship back to the hotel was half the price. I don't get it.)

Embarkation was a breeze. My husband uses a cane, and they sure take care of the handicapped quickly.

Once on board, sipping champagne, we found our rooms ready. The only real problem of the first day was that my luggage did not appear until after dinner. My husband received all his bags quickly. Around 7:00 p.m. there was a call from luggage inspection people that we were to More go below to open my suitcase..there was suspicious liquid in my suitcase. I was not happy. Once it was determined that all I had in my suitcase was the Celebrity permitted two bottles of wine, I was allowed to retrieve my suitcase, along with the wine, HOWEVER, in the luggage process a wheel had been sheared off the suitcase. In due course, the wheel was replaced, I drank my wine, and fun begun.

The next time I will stuff my wine bottles in my carry on so we can deal with this situation without holding up my luggage and all my clean underware!!

Dining: Oh, the food was wonderful! I am disappointed that the everyday appetizer of escargo has been removed from the menu. However, there were many other tasty dishes to make up for it.

Since the Excursions were so expensive and the descriptions misleading, we decided that "dining" can be an "excursion". At $40 per couple and lasting around 3 to 4 hours, it's a better deal than sitting in a stuffy bus with 25 people you don't know. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Continental Deck (6) 6276

We absolutely loved our room. There were rumors that storage space was limited and not planned well. We certainly had more than enough room. I was concerned because the usual clothesline in the shower was gone, but it was not a problem. New showers fantastic! In fact, this was the largest stateroom we've had. No hall noise. I have learned from previous cruises to bring along stronge magnetic hooks. They work well on the walls and can hold reminders, towels, pajamas, hats, pocketbooks.

Labadee is what it is. A man made island resort-ish place for RCI and Celebrity. Be careful picking a beach to go swimming. For the most part the ocean bottom is rocky. Swimming shoes are advised. A few areas have sandy bottoms. The lunch was good.
Read 355 Labadee Reviews

No excursion. Just a need to pop into CVS to buy a few forgotten items. An afternoon rain storm forced us to go to Senior Frogs and drink margarita's and then wear silly balloon hots. Much more fun than an excursion.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

For shopping, I love St. John. The reputible liquor stores have better prices than on ship. And, they will box up your purchases, deliver them to the ship and you won't see them until your last night aboard.

If the ship docks at the pier near the beach, there is a lovely place to go swimming. If not, you're kind of stuck in an industrial area with no idea of what to do. My main complaint is with the Shore Excursion people. Their maps of ports did not include any local transportation information, no historical site worth walking to, not even information on restaurants. The maps provided only listed jewelry stores and other tourist traps. Very disappointing. If one wanted to see historical areas, local culture, etc. you had to pay for any excursion. This is not typical of Celebrity. We were on Constellation in November, and their excursion staff did a fantastic job with communication and information.