AmaLegro Cruise Review by kkmiausa

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Budapest
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: A
See More About: AmaLegro Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | AmaWaterways Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: AmaLegro Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Amawaterways Amalegro Dream Come True Danube Cruise
We booked Amawaterways Amalegro based on reviews and timing. Our schedule dictated we travel in April and this cruise fit our timeline perfectly. We read the itinerary and included tours and amenities, and decided this was the trip for us. From the moment we arrived at the airport in Budapest until the time we departed in Prague, there was not a detail that was neglected. The ship was beautiful, stateroom was larger and brighter than it appeared in the brochures, and everyone from the Captain to our cabin stewardess, could not have been more accommodating or caring. It seemed like no request was a problem, and our needs were anticipated before we even had to ask. I am a vegetarian but eat some seafood, and they always made special arrangements for my meals. The wines with dinner were wonderful and generously poured. One night I didn't particularly like the white wine and our waiter noticed and asked if there was a problem. I had said nothing, but when asked stated I thought it was a little acidic. Well immediately it was taken away and another fine wine was delivered in it's place and I was told from now on, please tell them if there is ANYTHING not right. The included tours far exceeded what was described in the brochures. The buses were Mercedes and top of the line. There was always a local tour guide with us on the bus to provide running commentary about the history of the port of call. I had thought that the special tour options were all at an extra charge, but to my delight even optional tour into Salzburg was included at no charge. Even a night at a local pub in Vienna was provided free of charge with entertainment and generous wine and beer. It was not even advertised in the brochures online or in print.

Upon returning to the ship at the end of a day of tours, there was always a surprise waiting from warm hand towels, specialty drinks of the day, to sumptuous snacks.

It was advertised there would always be cookies and tea or coffee available at all times, but every day there was a lovely buffet both in the afternoon and late evening full of soups, sandwiches, cheeses, fruits and all types of desserts.

Entertainment was first class. Our pianist Cressi was there every evening to sing and play for dancing. The first night was a 60's theme and the entire staff from our lovely cabin stewardess Judit to the general manager of the ship, were there to join in with the guests and we all danced the laughed the night away. What a way to get acquainted with staff and meet other guests. On other nights we had local artists come aboard and entertain us with singing and violin playing. Each act was professional and excellent. One night was a repertoire from the Sound of Music, the other violins in Vienna with beautiful Viennese compositions.

This was a small ship with less than 150 passengers. We bonded with several couples immediately and have formed friendships and memories that will last for a lifetime. My husband and I took a Tauck tour last year of Paris and London, and it was very staid. The other travelers were not very friendly and the trip was mostly educational and left little time for fun. The Amalegro could not have been more opposite.

As it happened our cruise director Damiano was leading his first cruise for Amalegro. The first night he gave us a little background about himself and made us all laugh. We worried a little that this was his first job with Amawaterways, but if anything it made the trip even more special. He did everything possible to make sure all of our expectations were met. In most cases, he even was along on our tours. Always there to lend a hand and answer questions. Even when we took the post tour extension into Prague - he accompanied the participants and spent 3 days with us in Prague. He was always available at the hotel to take care of anything we needed. While in Prague we met Liba, our local tour guide for Prague. She was truly one of a kind - a true gem and a wonderful asset for Amawaterways. She was even at the airport at Prague to make our departure a breeze. What a lovely person.

Speaking of exceeding expectations, the Hilton in Old Town Prague was truly first class and to our surprise, every morning a full breakfast was included. Again not in their brochures.

Did I say Amalegro exceeded our expectations? LOL

It was truly a trip of a lifetime for my husband and I. We look forward to traveling many more times with Amawaterways and wholeheartedly recommend them without any reservation.

Farewell my Amalegro friends. Have a beautiful life.

Sincerely, Karen Kirby