Seabourn Pride Cruise Review by Sandy: Not so luxurious - Disappointing

Not so luxurious - Disappointing

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Hong Kong

Our first cruise on Seabourn we chose it because of the "Best small cruise line in the world" rating, and we paid a price that was considerably higher than other cruise lines to get top quality.
The ship was old, shabby, and sorely lacking in amenities. The rooms were nice, linens on the bed fine, but towels, thin and small. Shabby again. We did not get bathrobes until we asked three times, and we were promise fruit and juice daily, we got juice, but the fruit was not replaced after the first day, and the utensils disappeared and there were no plates or napkins, just bad service.
The room service is very quick - probably the best food on the ship, but a very limited menu. They advertise that you can choose where to eat, but the Cafe and outdoor areas had to be reserved, and they were reserved 100% by one group of 20 ppl who called daily on the dot. I finally pitched a fit because we were told each and every day we could not eat in either space and we did get ONE meal in More the gourmet restaurant. ONE out of 12 days. It was unacceptable all around and there were other guests who were told no the entire trip while some guests ate there every day. Bad service and bad form for the cruise line. I will not book with them again, and told them, did not even get a reply from the cruise line. We will be going back to Crystal where the service is what we expect Less

Read more Seabourn Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seabourn Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Seabourn Pride Seabourn Suite Deck Four

Handicraft Market

(5)
Great place to see and buy many handicrafts, also super buys on things you didn't know you wanted.

Halong Bay

(1)
Seriously? A junk tour? I expected a junk, not a tourist houseboat. Yuk, I would not eat nor drink on this boat where the dishes were washed in the bay. Death on a plate. This is so commercialized it is not really any good. Book a smaller craft and enjoy the beautiful cliffs without all the constant barrage of "gifts" they are selling.

Ben Thanh Market

(5)
Just walk there yourself, no need for a guide. It's hot, crowded, noisy, irritating sales people, stuff, stuff, and more stuff. You just have to experience it, keep looking - there will be something you want! Bargain your head off, then walk away and they will chase you to get your last offer. We have been three times, got great buys each time.

Nightlife Tour

(4)
The music part at the hotel = totally skip this it's just not good. The dinner at Ly Restaurant DO this, it was GREAT. Loved the explanations for all the courses, some really spicy, but all beautifully prepared. If you can, just go to the restaurant, it's GREAT

Love Hong Kong. Try the tuna market at 4 am, then have fresh sushi for breakfast. We stayed at the Shangri La and it is very nice, could not ask for better service or a lovelier setting. It was a ways from downtown, but the water taxi is close and I highly recommend you take the escalator at least for a couple of stops.

This is one of my favorite places. Take the DUK tour and the best attraction to experience is the night dinner on the Singapore Flyer. I booked online, and it was a bit of a struggle to find the right place, so be sure to arrive early. It was an ordinary dinner, not bad, not gourmet, but I didn't' go for the dinner, I went for the sights. The sights were fantastic. Photos are great, and we had the most fun ever. Then shop till you drop, but do it in the old markets - leave the Prada for Turkey where you can get knock offs at $50