Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by 2beachgoers

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by 2beachgoers
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Millennium
Member Name: 2beachgoers
Cruise Date: April 2012
Cabin Category: A2
See More About: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

It's ok, we're going to dry dock next week! A poor excuse!
When I booked this cruise, I worried how it might be since it was 2 cruises from dry dock, but I knew it was Celebrity so I hoped it would still be great. I should have trusted the feeling and gone elsewhere. I am terribly disappointed in Celebrity after this cruise. I brought a girlfriend with me to show her how great Celebrity is, and there is little chance she will go on Celebrity again after this.

Embarkation was the best part. With the Elite status we were given priority status, and there were no lines. We boarded at about 1230p onto the deck instead of into an atrium, and were given champagne and mimosas. Rooms were open around 130pm, and 2 of the 3 bags were delivered by 3pm. It went downhill from there.

Room -

With the concierge class we got champagne on arrival, but the bucket had so little ice in it, it wasnt cold enough to drink. We brought our own champagne and soda onboard to drink in the room, and we had to continually ask for more ice to fill the wine bucket and the ice bucket for drinks. The attendant would clean the room in the morning, and leave the sodas floating in warm water. You'd think by the 3rd day they would understand we wanted cold drinks. (The refrigerator in the room really isnt a refrigerator we were told "it is just a holder for the minibar drinks." We were not given extra shampoo or conditioner without asking. For concierge class, I was terribly disappointed.

The rooms were decorated fine, but everything was shabby. The balcony was pretty rusty, outside table was all chipped. The bathroom was pretty bad, gross shower curtain, LOTS of broken floor tiles, all of the hardware rusty. Room smelled pretty rusty. On the second day the door fell off the closet, I went to find the attendant who said "yes i saw it was loose yesterday."

We had a balcony on the 9th floor, and it is a really poor location for Concierge class. The balcony has a huge overhang so we had no sun and poor pictures. It was also very noisy, upstairs at night they were always dragging something around on the deck. These cabins are supposed to be reclassified as Aquaclass.... I would have to really question if they are worth the amenities for the poor location.

Public Areas -

Most of the deckchairs were dirty, or missing slats. Lots of trash around the pool area for hours. The best part was one of the railings on the sun deck... it was missing the wood, so there was a beach towel rolled around the metal covered in duct tape. Are you kidding me??? Another highlight was the big plastic blue trashcan they wheeled around the pool and sun decks to collect trash. It was pretty gross. One of our dinner companions had a bathroom door fall off, to which the attendant said "dont worry we're going to dry dock next week". That was the excuse for everything. A lot of the hallways on the lower decks smelled musty and of sewer. I was glad we were on the 9th floor.

Elite -

The Elite benefits were the best part, except they were not executed well. Free drinks and canapes from 5-7pm on two of the 4 days, but you have to be dressed for dinner (no shorts or flipflops), and since I always have late seating for dinner, we only went once prior to our 6pm Olympic reservation. The continental breakfast really only had a couple danishes and some fruit, so we ate breakfast first, then went to get our drinks. The free wine seminar was done at the same time as the champagne tea, so we missed that too in favor of the tea. We tried to discuss the ship and service issues with the Elite rep, but he didnt seem to care either.

Olympic -

The Olympic restaurant was the best part of the cruise. The food and service were outstanding. The space itself was badly in need of a coat of paint and a good scrub. They are removing that restaurant in dry dock so hopefully it will get a good clean. The sommelier however needs a lesson in "house wine". I asked for a "house" chardonnay, and ended up wtih a $24 glass on my bill. Not cool. After my complaint, she removed half the charge.

Service -

The service overall was poor. The dining room waiters were not attentive. We constantly asked for refills of water and tea. The stateroom attendant was the worst I've had on my 12 cruises. Every day we asked for more ice, water in the pitcher, more shampoo, and towels. One day he didnt even clean the bathroom until we asked.

While we were in Cozumel the entire deck with the restaurant was closed until dinnertime so they could replace the carpet. So, no dining room lunch service that day. We were never allowed upstairs on deck 12 the entire cruise because they were scraping and varnishing.

I went to the guest relations desk to complain one day, and there were so many people complaining, it was a long line. It was pretty sad. They gave out a lot of onboard credits from what I heard.

Bottom line, we should have gotten a dry dock priced cruise. I will know now not to book Celebrity this close to dry dock.

I am hoping the service issues on this ship are one time issues, and not a signal of where Celebrity is headed. We'll see.

Publication Date: 04/22/12