Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by CruisingCher

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by CruisingCher
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Sensation
Member Name: CruisingCher
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Number: U111

Not the greatest, but ok
For a quick trip it was ok, and a good introduction for someone who has never cruised before.

Getting to the ship was not too bad however I would not use Laura's Transportation Service again. They did not get us to the ship when we requested to get there although the driver did try going 90 mph down the road. Then we had to wonder at a company that employs people that it can't trust to use the "E-pass" or "sun pass" and abuse it. the driver had to stop at all tolls and pay them himself ensuring he got recpts so he would get repaid.

Upon our return the dispatcher argued w/ me and my husband quoting policy and terms on our contract. Ten minutes after we were sup to have left the terminal, the driver made a second loop because he didn't want to go back to Orlando w/ just my husband and I. When my husband asked him about this and was told I gotta do it man, My husband pulled out our copy of their promises and contract saying that we leave the port by 10 and a second trip would be made at 1145. The driver told my husband to call the boss but he was doing a second loop. Then the dispatcher told my husband that he was a liar and that he was never told anything about leaving the port by 10, when it is clearly printed on our recpt. Then after the driver waited for another 10 min and was getting ready to close the doors a woman comes running out and holds up the bus while the other 10 people in her party are still in baggage area and haven't cleared customs yet. This sparked another argument between my husband and the driver and next thing we know our bags are out of the bus and loaded into another transportation companies and we are being told that someone else is taking us to our hotel in Orlando. This did turn out to be a good thing since the driver was prompt courteous and completely professional in her driving. She did not race down the highway and did not have to pull over for the toll booths.

The Sensation is a smaller ship than the 2 I have previously sailed on and getting around can be a bit tricky. The Serenity deck can be overlooked by the dining decks above and of course there are never enough chairs on that deck. There were kids in areas that were sup to be kid free zones like the Casino and then sitting at the bar drinking from Mom and Dads adult beverages. The service in the dining rooms was slow. Not enjoy yourself slow but waiting for almost 10 minutes before your head waiter greets you slow. We tried it once for dinner and once for breakfast and never went back. Not to mention when we were leaving the dining room after breakfast I was almost knocked over by a waiter and no apologies came from him, he just kept on going.

On the positive side our room steward Tennyson was awesome! He brought our luggage into our room for us instead of leaving it outside the door, answered all of our questions. He even fixed our towel animal after my husband had decapitated it.

We did excursions at both ports and I highly recommend them both (12.5 mile bike ride in Freeport and the catamaran sail and snorkel in Nassau) the only downside to the ports is that the towns close down at 6 even though the ship is in port all night in Nassau.

If we had known that before hand we would have made arrangements to go to Atlantis or somewhere else other than just grabbing a bite at Senior Frogs and watching the junior drinkers (drinking age is 18.)

Staying in port over night is not as nice as I thought it would be. The engines aren't running so the A/C is barely running and it is loud w/ the work vehicles going up and down the pier.

I realize that everyone on that cruise was on vacation just like I was but that doesn't mean you get to let your kids run wild. Almost every night there were kids(8-13 year olds) running and yelling down the halls. We said something to guest services but nothing was ever done and eventually my husband did say something to the kids. It is just rude to bring your kids on a trip like this and then just let them run amuck.

This quick trip was a surprise anniversary gift from my husband and while we had some great memories from it, I probably won't sail on this ship or one this small again.

Publication Date: 04/22/12