Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by ms.sunburn: A bit disappointed this time around.

ms.sunburn
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

A bit disappointed this time around.

Sail Date: April 2012

I have cruised 7 times, 5 with Carnival. In the past I have always been a big Carnival supporter and have always felt that the food and service was fantastic.

This cruise, though it was the newest Carnival ship we have ever been on, was less impressive than the others.

We had an oceanview stateroom on deck 1. I'm not sure what was underneath our room, but on the first night a terrible whiny hydraulic noise started up just as we went to bed and continued for most of the night. It was a noise that could not be ignored and we complained to the Guest Services (first time we've ever had a complaint in all of our cruises). We had to call a few times before someone finally came down and listened to the noise. They told us the ship was 100% sold out and they couldn't move us and that was the end of the conversation. I decided that we couldn't live with it and was ready to debark at the next port. By the next day we decided we did not want to debark since they'd only send us More back to Fort Lauderdale and not straight home, that we'd just have to listen to the noise until the end of the cruise. My husband managed to get an onboard credit to compensate for the noise and by some miracle it stopped that night and never reappeared. No one told us what it was or that it had been fixed. I was not impressed with how Guest Services handled the situation at all. It was like speaking to a brick wall.

I have always loved the food in the Carnival dining rooms and considered it better than the cruises we've had on other lines until this one. It just wasn't on par with past cruises. The first night the decorative sauce on the plate was actually dried-on. It looked like it had sat there for quite a while before being delivered to our table. Some dishes were better than others, but overall dining room food was a miss this cruise. Fortunately, there are lots of dining options on Carnival. I loved the burgers from the grill, the deli, the cooked to order Mongolian Wok, the Sushi bar and the appetizers at the Fish & Chips station and of course the ice cream!

I really enjoyed the serenity adult-only area of the ship with the comfy lounge chairs. The ship was absolutely spotless, as was our room. The buffet area was always clean and we never had trouble finding a table.

We stopped in Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. My favorite was Grand Cayman. No hassles when we left the ship, amazing JetSki excursion and Stingray City visit. Least favorite was Ocho Rios.

I think this will probably be my last Carnival cruise unfortunately. Our experience with Guest Services did not give us the confidence that Carnival stands by its product. As long as the cruise is going well they're fine, but if you have a problem you're on your own. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Oceanview Riviera 1316

Cabin was completely quiet once they fixed a terrible whiny noise underneath in the crew area.