Disney Magic Cruise Review by jmb1101: Loved the Magic Mouse

Compare Prices on Disney Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Loved the Magic Mouse

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Either you feel it or you don't. If you don't love Disney to begin with, I think the cruise line is a hard sale. But if you have a thing for the Mouse, you will be enchanted. I am not sure I would go without kids, but my husband, our daughter, the in-laws and I had an unforgettable vacation.

Positives
- Embarkation and debarkation were fast and efficient -- both took less than 15 minutes
- Cleanliness -- at each meal someone stands at the door and hands you a sanitizing wipe.
- Great entertainment -- good for both kids and adults. There are plenty of opportunities for adult entertainment too.
- Food ranged from good to very good and the rotational dining was fun. It added a sense of festivity.
- The seafood buffet lunch!
- Deck parties were really high energy and got everyone involved. Loved it!
- Adult Pool -- a very quiet area with jazz playing.
- Bars & Lounges -- great drinks and drink specials every day.
- Drink Station -- sodas, tea More & coffee, water and ice
- Ice Cream Station -- help yourself all day long!
- Service -- overall very good. We had a great experience with Willy, Soloman and Sean in the dining room.
- Movies -- both first run and recent releases -- were fun to take advantage of when you had an hour or two down time.

Negatives
- Topsiders Dining Room (breakfast & lunch) is small and somewhat cramped.
- Noisy Kid's Pool areas. Funnel Vision is too loud and competes with all the kiddy noise.
- Breakfast foods like toast are cold because they are served on the buffet.
- The Magic is a little beat up in places.
- Our cabin steward didn't bother to introduce himself. Not a big deal but would have been nice.

Problems - addressed
- Our bathrooms had not been cleaned when we arrived. I called and the steward manager came right away, had the situation corrected and apologized profusely. We got several calls to ensure we were happy. I was happy with the resolution.
- Our TV stopped working. Once again, the manager came and assessed the situation. Within an hour, a worker came and fixed our TV. Once again, I was very happy with the resolution.

Some people expect a 5 star hotel experience and you are just not going to get that with Disney. It's more of a 4 star experience. If you want 5-star food and service, you will have to go with Regent, Crystal or one of the other upscale lines. But, if you have reasonable expectations, you will have a wonderful time! Less

Read more Disney Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Magic Review >>

It was another Disney experience. Fun, clean with plenty to do. We, unfortunately, hit on a day with high winds so everything we wanted to do was cancelled. Oh well. Still a fun day.

Island Tour

(2)
We were taken to San Gervasio Mayan ruins which was really quite interesting. After we were taken to a beach called El Mirador which was breathtakingly beautiful, however, it was also the dirtiest beach I've ever been on. There seemed to be no trash receptacles but old curlers, trash bags, and old tubes of toothpaste were strewn all over the beach. No one seemed to mind. We also visited a touristy tequila place and another dirty place (tourist trap) where the first Catholic Mass was performed. I feel so bad complaining because the people obviously need money but there were cereal boxes, bottles and plastic containers all over the place. Just gross. No trash receptacles here either. I would never go on this tour again.

Stingray Swim

(5)
This was an experience of a lifetime. We were taken on a catamaran and our guides helped us really interact with with the stingrays. A totally enjoyable time!

Turtle Farm

(3)
This was a fun introduction to the Cayman Islands. We had a nice guide and enjoyed interacting with the turtles.

Snorkeling

(5)
Took us about 45 minutes from Key West where we dropped anchor and snorkeled in the open ocean for about an hour and a half. We didn't see a ton of fish but the coral reef was interesting and the ride on the catamaran itself was amazing. Great people running it. Fixed us awesome margaritas! THey also created some "Dr. Dews" for the kids - layering Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. Fun was had by all!