Scenic Ruby Cruise Review by KJ Aussie

Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: PA
See More About: Scenic Ruby Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Scenic Tours Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Scenic Ruby Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Scenic Ruby

Our cruise on the Scenic Ruby far exceeded our expectations. Our cabin was on the top deck in the middle, just behind a suite, and it was a quiet, easily accessed location. We did experience some minor vibrations at times, but it is a boat that's moving, so that is normal. Nothing ever moved or fell over in our cabin, at times it was hard to pick if we were even moving, unless we looked outside to our balcony. Our cabin had butler service and Vojtech was a lovely man, helpful, polite and very pleasant to have around. Veronika, our cabin attendant, worked tirelessly and unobtrusively to keep our cabin spotless. I very quickly got used to having the bed made in the morning and turned down at night with a chocolate on the pillow and our bathroom cleaned up twice a day. Just couldn't fit these 2 lovely people in my suitcase to bring them home.

The food was amazing, especially when we saw the size of the galley on a quick kitchen tour. It was hardly any bigger than my kitchen at home. The buffets at breakfast and lunch were very comprehensive and if you couldn't find something there to eat, you were just plain fussy. Dinners, particularly the specially themed ones, were great. The beer and the wine flowed endlessly. I drank more wine in 2 weeks than I have in 20 years, normally not partaking, except on special occasions.

The crew very amazing. Very friendly, happy to answer any questions, any time and always greeted you with a "welcome back" or even nicer " welcome home" whenever you returned. I miss them saying their genuine Good mornings and Good nights now I am home. Every single member of the crew whether bar, dining room, hotel service or nautical gave 110 percent. Our captain was a quiet man, but steady and I felt in good hands. I am pleased he was attending to his duties rather than endless socialising. With all the locks we went through, he was definitely needed on the bridge.

It was a truly beautiful cruise down the Rhine and Danube. There was always something to see on each side of the river. My most outstanding cruise day on the boat was Melk in the morning ( the abbey was awesome) then cruising through the Wachau gorge with castles popping up on both sides, viewed from the sun deck, and then the lovely little town of Durnstein. My most outstanding

excursion was the full day to Cesky Krumlov. It was a gorgeous medieval walled town with castle, bridges, good little shops to browse in, and on our trip, SNOW. For an Australian, it is a highlight to walk around with snow falling.

My only " complaint" about the whole cruise is that we were very busy. There was not quite as much daytime cruising to look at the views as I would have liked. But, you could opt out of any day's activities and "stay home" while the boat cruised down to the next docking point, whilst everyone else went off on the buses. The excursions did frequently start early around 8 am, but hey, you can sleep in at home, you can't see those amazing sights at home.

My last comments have to be about our tour director, Werney. That man is a dynamo!! He was so enthusiastic and organised and certainly gave us all the information we needed for every excursion, maps, fact sheets, daily port briefings and answers to any questions you may have. He offered suggestions on how to do things on your own if you wanted to. He really "made" the trip fantastic bombastic ( as Werney would say).

The Scenic Ruby crew have won the most inter-company awards ,awarded based on disembarking passenger surveys completed, and they deserve it. However I am sure whichever of the Scenic space ships you cruise on you will enjoy the trip of a lifetime, because Scenic's attention to detail is outstanding, and that would be reflected on every cruise.

Publication Date: 04/22/12