Scenic Ruby Cruise Review by KJ Aussie: Scenic Ruby

Scenic Ruby

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

Our cruise on the Scenic Ruby far exceeded our expectations. Our cabin was on the top deck in the middle, just behind a suite, and it was a quiet, easily accessed location. We did experience some minor vibrations at times, but it is a boat that's moving, so that is normal. Nothing ever moved or fell over in our cabin, at times it was hard to pick if we were even moving, unless we looked outside to our balcony. Our cabin had butler service and Vojtech was a lovely man, helpful, polite and very pleasant to have around. Veronika, our cabin attendant, worked tirelessly and unobtrusively to keep our cabin spotless. I very quickly got used to having the bed made in the morning and turned down at night with a chocolate on the pillow and our bathroom cleaned up twice a day. Just couldn't fit these 2 lovely people in my suitcase to bring them home.

The food was amazing, especially when we saw the size of the galley on a quick kitchen tour. It was hardly any bigger than my kitchen at More home. The buffets at breakfast and lunch were very comprehensive and if you couldn't find something there to eat, you were just plain fussy. Dinners, particularly the specially themed ones, were great. The beer and the wine flowed endlessly. I drank more wine in 2 weeks than I have in 20 years, normally not partaking, except on special occasions.

The crew very amazing. Very friendly, happy to answer any questions, any time and always greeted you with a "welcome back" or even nicer " welcome home" whenever you returned. I miss them saying their genuine Good mornings and Good nights now I am home. Every single member of the crew whether bar, dining room, hotel service or nautical gave 110 percent. Our captain was a quiet man, but steady and I felt in good hands. I am pleased he was attending to his duties rather than endless socialising. With all the locks we went through, he was definitely needed on the bridge.

It was a truly beautiful cruise down the Rhine and Danube. There was always something to see on each side of the river. My most outstanding cruise day on the boat was Melk in the morning ( the abbey was awesome) then cruising through the Wachau gorge with castles popping up on both sides, viewed from the sun deck, and then the lovely little town of Durnstein. My most outstanding

excursion was the full day to Cesky Krumlov. It was a gorgeous medieval walled town with castle, bridges, good little shops to browse in, and on our trip, SNOW. For an Australian, it is a highlight to walk around with snow falling.

My only " complaint" about the whole cruise is that we were very busy. There was not quite as much daytime cruising to look at the views as I would have liked. But, you could opt out of any day's activities and "stay home" while the boat cruised down to the next docking point, whilst everyone else went off on the buses. The excursions did frequently start early around 8 am, but hey, you can sleep in at home, you can't see those amazing sights at home.

My last comments have to be about our tour director, Werney. That man is a dynamo!! He was so enthusiastic and organised and certainly gave us all the information we needed for every excursion, maps, fact sheets, daily port briefings and answers to any questions you may have. He offered suggestions on how to do things on your own if you wanted to. He really "made" the trip fantastic bombastic ( as Werney would say).

The Scenic Ruby crew have won the most inter-company awards ,awarded based on disembarking passenger surveys completed, and they deserve it. However I am sure whichever of the Scenic space ships you cruise on you will enjoy the trip of a lifetime, because Scenic's attention to detail is outstanding, and that would be reflected on every cruise. Less

Read more Scenic Ruby cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Scenic Ruby Review >>

Cabin review: Scenic Ruby 318

PA 318 was on the top deck, right in the middle directly behind a suite. This location was very quiet with minimal engine noise or vibration, which greatly increased the further back you went down the corridor. Our room did get very hot sometimes in the afternoons if it was sunny and it was not a hot time of the year, but drawing the curtains helped. The air con was not really cold enough to help in that situation, but it was not really a huge issue as it was only a couple of days and would depend on which direction we were docked. The position of 318 was ideal for being not too far down a very long corridor, but far enough back that we never heard any late night happenings in the lounge. We did hear an occasional scrape up on top of the sun deck above us, but that is carpeted, so not sure what those sounds were. The cabins are quite adequate for space and plenty of storage and closet space. We did take along extra wire coat hangars, which we did use. I would select this cabin again, I was very happy with it.