Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by StLpassanger

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by StLpassanger
Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: StLpassanger
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: ID
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Awful experience
Save your money..... Experienced the following on the cruise:

1. On the 1st evening we returned to our room after dinner to find a note stating that contraband had been found in our luggage and we would have to go to theater to meet with security and retrieve our luggage. Immediately I know that it is for the wine that I had brought with me. I had full intentions on paying the corkage fee.... However, I wish that we would have been informed so that we didn't have to go through this process. After waiting for over an hour for our turn to meet with security and were able to return to our room with luggage in tote.

2. Returning to our room on the 2nd day we discovered that our electrical outlet was not working. I called down to guest services to report the issue and they said that they would send a housekeeping supervisor. After waiting 30 minutes I called back and inquired if someone would be coming soon because I needed to utilize the outlet to get ready for our dinner reservations. The agent at the desk said that the outlets do not accommodate European plugs and they do not offer convertors. Clearly by my voice you can tell that I am from the United States so there is very little chance that I am trying to plug in a European flat iron. After talking to the desk agent I am more than frustrated. I felt like I had to argue with her to get her to understand that the standard outlet is not functioning and we need someone to come fix it. Finally after the 2nd call and a wait of 50 minutes a gentleman from the maintenance came and was able to access the panel in the hallway to rectify the issue.

3. One of the evenings I had gotten up around 3:00am to utilize the restroom and upon flushing the commode it made a very loud noise. I certainly didn't think anything of it because they are loud to begin with. However, when washing my hand the water turned brown and some sort of black substance came up in the commode. I immediately went to the closest public restroom to wash my hands only to discover that the water in the restroom was also brown. I returned to my room and used the bottle of water available for purchase at the price of $4.50 to wash my hands. I called down to the desk to report the issue and got no answer. With the uncertainty of what I just had on my hands I thought I better just go to the desk. The gentleman at the desk said that they were changing filters in the filtration system and he thought that it was just rust. He said not to worry that we could start using the restroom in about 10-15 minutes. Well I certainly hope that it was rust. The thought of having waste come out of the sink is disgusting. Maybe in the future the guest should receive a notice this process is going to take place with a time frame. I can't imagine being in the shower during this time.

4. One of the mornings we woke to an announcement being made from the Captain. Apparently overnight the ship had faced some electrical difficulties and the generators had been used for back-up. I have never really felt unsafe on a NCL ship. However, I think with all of the paperwork and notes that are placed in your stateroom this was definitely an occasion that deserved a written explanation. I had asked several employees and they seemed like they didn't know what I was talking about or were not allowed to discuss the issue.

5. On our stop in Cozumel we had booked and paid in advance for a beach break shore excursion. The morning of we had set 2 wake up calls. One if we decide to eat breakfast and the other if we were going to skip breakfast and sleep in. Well we decided to skip the 1st call and sleep later. Unfortunately we never received the 2nd call and we missed our excursion. I called down to the desk and once again and received no answer. After getting ready we went to the desk and informed the Front Desk Supervisor what had happened. She said for us to wait one moment and she would return. She came back with a log and basically argued with us over the wake-up call and stated that we did acknowledge the 1st call so there wasn't much she could do except document it and pass the information on the shore excursion manager. She never apologized or seemed empathetic. I wasn't really expecting a refund, just the acknowledgement and an apology would have been just fine. Upon walking away from the desk a member of management asked if they could help me and finally I felt like someone truly cared. He immediately gave us an adjustment for the excursion and sent us champagne and strawberries. I have to say that he was one of the few employees that deserved the friendliest ship award that everyone had been talking about.

6. On the final day at sea the pool was closed for the entire day due to a child having an accident. On this particular ship there are only 2 pools. One clearly marked for adults and one for children. To prevent the adults not having a place to swim maybe the ADULT only policy should be enforced.

7. The last evening of our cruise we ordered room service. We waited over an hour and it never came. We finally went to bed.

8. Also, on the last evening we had another issue with the commode. It became stuck and was constantly flushing. We reported the issue and someone from the housekeeping team came and fixed the issue.

Publication Date: 04/20/12