Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by bonesdad: Ready to go again!!

bonesdad
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Ready to go again!!

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Other

My wife and I wwas on the same cruise as some of the more negative reviews here, but our experience was completely different. This was the first cruise for my wife and I, so our expectations were pretty high, and they were definitely met on the Norweigan Sun. We had a balcony stateroom on deck 8 and spent a good deal of our time on our balcony, taking advantage of our own private ocean view. Everyone told me that I should take an interior room since "we wouldn't be spending any time in our room anyway", but I can safely say I won't sail again without a balcony room. A big part of a cruise is being near the ocean for me, we left our balcony door open 24/7! Fresh air, cool breeze and great sleeping and napping. Awoke one night at 2 am to find another cruise ship to starboard fully lit up and gorgeous, and awoke another night to enjoy a short, but wild thunderstorm. Loved it.

First night out was kind of rough on the sea, my wife ended up in bed nauseous and missing dinner, More but Bonine soon set her straight and she was fine for the rest of the cruise.

We both thought the food was very good, the wait staff being very helpful, kind, attentive and occasionally very funny. Have to say the staff was the most pleasant surprise as they were all professional, courteous and kind. I'd think it would be hard to be so nice several months into your contract, 9 months away from home with no days off, having to be exteremely nice to everyone all the time. They performed without fail. Kudos especially to our room steward Rey...who left us "towel animals" without fail every night, and they always had eyes! Rey was prompt with replacing towels and giving us whatever extras we asked for.

Room was comfortable and spacious enough for us. The balcony was our getaway and private paradise.

Food was quite good at both "free" main restaurants, good enough that we never visted the buffet restaurants after the second morning. Mahi-Mahi, filet mignon, salmon, and the chocoholics night (oy). The only time we ate off ship was on Nassau (see below) and in Puerto Rico (also below). Never had to wait more than a minute to be seated, another 2 minutes to get menus and 3 more to have our orders taken. never more than a 10 minute wait to get our food either. Again, here our experience differed greatly with other guests posting here.

Spent a couple hours in the casino, at penny slots (casino not our thing) but had fun more than doubling our $20 input before losing it all after more than an hour of playtime. Bingo too, no winnings (everyone say "Ayn"). If you want to hit the pool, I suggest going at 7am. Got a hot tub to ourselves for an hour and empty pool as well...very relaxing.

Neither my wife or I are big drinkers, but the drinks we did have, though expensive, were tasty and hit the spot at the time. If you want to go cruising on the cheap, try to avoid over indulging in alchohol.

I could go on and on, I will summarize our port stops below. Needless to say we will be back, having actually put a $250 down on our next trip with Norweigan. We are totally converted cruisers now! Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Fjord Deck 8236

Cabin was excellent, spacious for 2, but no more, I'd say. Balcony was my favorite. Deck 8, a bit forward of midship. Easy access to elevators. Clean, though sofa/fold out bed was pretty dated looking, it was comfortable to sit on. TV was also old, but who the hell watches TV on a cruise, unless you're sick? LOVED the balcony, left the doors open 24/7 to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells. If I were going on the same ship, I'd seriously consider trying to book the same room.

We had rough seas when we got there, so our parasailing excursion was cancelled, much to our disappointment. We got snorkeling gear instead, but my wife couldn't enjoy as she found the water to murky near the shore. I ventured out further and found much clearer water and some cool fish, but no where near the variety of fish at USVI. Great Stirrup Cay is currently undergoing massive overhaul, and though I'm sure it will be amazing when completed, it isn't much to look at now. We dropped by a drink cabana to get a couple of sodas, and I pulled out several roofing nails from the sand right in front of the cabana. weather was OK, warm but not very sunny and a little breezy, but very tolerable. Food was good, as usual and a welcome break from sea and surf. We took a nice walk to rocky shoals and saw some cool sights. Once the refurb is done, I'll be happy to return to Great Stirrup Cay, but not before.

Did not book an excursion here, went for "Port Shopping" experience, but quickly realized that was a dud, for us. Hightailed it back toward ship and booked a ride on a private taxi van with local driver, "Sterling". 8 or 10 other passengers on ride with us and we all got along great. Sterling took us where we asked to go, or what we asked to see. Turns out his sister worked at a local rum cake shop, so we went there and sampled the goods and bought several for ourselves. Visit the Ole Nassau Rum Cake store and pick some up, very fresh and delicious! We visited a local bar where they served drinks of course, but also fresh conch fritters, which were delicious. We all shared them on the ride to our next destination, Atlantis. We just walked around there to see the over opulent luxury, which was cool, then headed back to the docks. About a 2-2.5 hour tour of the island. Nassau was not my favorite of the ports, but it was definitely a great place to visit and I will return!
Read 2646 Nassau Reviews

Amazing City! We only visited Old San Juan and found it much to our liking. Visited the forts, which were very cool. and spent a lot of time wandering the streets just looking, shopping and talking to natives. Were directed to a great little restaurant where we had excellent food and friendly service. Vistied the old San Juan Cathedral which I found quite beautiful, even though I am no where near religious. All in all, I'd say this was my favorite port this trip, with USVI a close second. So much more to see in future cruises or a great destination for a trip of its own.
Read 1367 San Juan Reviews

St. John Snorkel/Sail

(5.5)
Champagne Cat and snorkel on St. John's Honeymoon Beach was amazing. Captain and crew were fun, funny and very helpful. Plenty of beautiful fish to see on our first snorkeling experience. Beautiful day, beautiful islands and everything looked even better after 6 rum punches! We had a blast and cannot wait to go back to USVI to see more!