Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Parlaming0: Quite Nice

Quite Nice

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Let me preface this review by stating that I am obsessed with the following; good customer service, cleanliness, food quality, food seasoning/flavouring, and most importantly, service recovery. I am by no means an impossible cruiser to please, but I scrutinize with gusto.

The Summit left out of San Juan at 8:00 pm, so when we arrived at 6:15, the rush to embark was over, which was great. I have to say, the Summit had the most modern grand foyer I've seen. My first impressions were, 'nice', followed by 'clean', followed by 'not bad at all!'

Once on board, we hightailed it to the excursion desk and they were friendly and informed and didn't try to up-sell. They were also able to validate information I had gathered from this site and others alike which helped tremendously.

Next came dinner. After waking up early, three hours at the airport, a five hour flight, and a cab ride, I was hungry and not in the mood for dining room pleasantries. The buffet offered a More wide selection of quality food and a sushi buffet that wasn't bad at all. They could have had some more fresh selections other than the dreaded salad bar which wasn't even the best I've seen. There are ways of serving vegetables besides drowning them in cheese sauce or coating them in batter.

On the second night, the dining room didn't have our table available (Even though it was pre-booked and confirmed) and a kerfuffle ensued involving the front desk and the maitre d'. In the end, service recovery ruled the day and our table for two was ready each night thereafter, right in front of the Captain's Table. Great dining room staff, attentive and friendly.

The food in the dining room was DELICIOUS! Portions were just right, seasoning was perfect, and there was enough variety to make everyone happy.

For my sisters birthday, we went to Normandie and let me tell you, I still think about my dinner that night. White glove service, authentic French cuisine, and the cheese cart were well worth the cover charge. I felt like I was back in France.

Our room had yet to be "solsticized" and showed some signs of aging, but I didn't lose any sleep over it. It was clean and comfy and beyond that, who cares?

Disembarking and re-embarking was seamless, we never waited more than five minutes.

Public spaces were clean and well maintained, especially the bathrooms which was a bonus for me, a self proclaimed 'clean freak'.

Ports of call were beautiful and excursions were worth every penny.

The only thing I could complain about was the entertainment. I'd say it was the worst I've seen on a cruise ship. By that I mean that it really didn't float my boat, I could've easily skipped 6/7 shows.

Overall, I had a great time. I went to relax, and relax I did! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Emerald Pool

(3)
It was jammed full of cruise passengers! Pretty nice, but you'd be waiting a long time to take a dip or get a photo without 300 people in it.

Rainforest Tour

(4)
A walk through the rainforest. It's exactly what it sounds like.

Trafalgar Falls

(4)
Lush greenery, nice falls, enjoyable walk.

We did the Buck Island Snorkel and it was nice. A nice boat ride, cerulean water, sunshine, it was beautiful. Snorkeling was around an hour and the reef was 95% dead. No colourful coral, but some pretty fish. Probably not worth 100 USD per person and probably not the best snorkeling you will do in your life. The island isn't very nice and you feel kind of guilty driving through the slums on an air conditioned coach.

We took the water taxi to Grand Anse Beach. It's quite nice but filled with people trying to sell you things. It's lovely, but after two hours, you're ready to leave.

Beautiful Island, nice foliage, and very nice beaches. We went to the Marriott for the day and enjoyed lounging around paradise. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Beach Break

(3)
Screen saver worthy beach, but filled with tourists. We were cautioned not to go to Magens Bay due to the lack of facilities, but in hindsight, it would've been nice to get away from the crowds.