Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by dreamgirl12

Cruise Date: April 2012
Cabin Category: 6B
Public Rooms Not Rated

7 Stress Free Days of Relaxation
My boyfriend and I planned this cruise 10 months in advance and counted down the days. Overall we had an amazing time and were able to relax and de - stress.

Embarkation and debarkation went really smoothly. There were a ton of people in Miami when we arrived, but the lines moved quickly. My only complaint was that they confiscated the bottle of wine in my bf's luggage (not in mine though). It clearly states you may each bring on a bottle of wine, but I guess I didn't realize it has to be carried on, not put in your checked bag. I called guest services and she was not going to budge on giving it back. That was frustrating as we were following the rules and I saw many other people with homemade drinks on deck that clearly smuggled in liquor. Guess I just have to get better at it!

Once onboard we went exploring and quickly found Serenity - the adult only deck with comfy lounge chairs and "pods". We woke up super early on the first sea day because I had read several reviews of people about not being able to get a chair. We chose to go back to Serenity because we wanted to avoid the craziness of the main pool. It was nice but very hot and there is no pool up there. I found it very strange that there are 8 hot tubs and only 2 pools on a ship traveling in the Caribbean. We chose to get chairs near the adult pool for the last sea day. We got out there around 830 and all the chairs by the pool were "taken" but we got two upstairs. Not having enough chairs for all guests was frustrating and I felt bad for people that kept roaming.

We had an ocean view room and this was just perfect for us - we didn't spend much time there. We had PLENTY of room for our things and never had a problem with an overflowing shower.

During the sea days there isn't a whole lot to do other than lay by the pool - which is fine for me, but my boyfriend was antsy. The entertainment at night was OK. The main shows were all similar with the exception of the juggler who was funny. The comics were hit or miss - the first one was hysterical but the second was terrible. We went to one of the parties on the main deck and had a great time. Lots of dancing and drinking and laughing with people we had met.

The food was good. We loved the Blue Iguana tacos and burritos. Guy's burger was delicious - I limited myself to 1 as it was really greasy. The breakfast buffet was disappointing. There was a lot of fruit but the eggs and meat did not taste right. On Wednesday we decided to try the Dining Room for breakfast and it was MUCH better. I had eggs benedict and he had belgian waffles. We ate there the rest of the week and I highly recommend it. You do not wait long at all. The lunch buffet closes at 3:30 which is when we got back on the ship most days. We had the pizza which isn't great and there are long lines but it does the trick if you are hungry. Dinner in the Dining Room was fun. We sat at a table with another couple our age. Our waiters, Fernando and Mantara, were very nice. I thought the food was very good for the most part. There was a wide variety. My favorite was the sushi bar on the promenade. It's open from 5 - 8 and you can have however much you like of what rolls they made that day (2 per day).

The ports were fun. We liked our excursion in Cozumel the best - Jeep and cave swimming - mostly because of our guides, Andy and Reuben. The beach there was the best - private and white sand. Our excursion in Belize was snorkeling. I had never snorkeled before and was glad my bf had to help me out. The reef is not that colorful, but it was neat for the experience. The beach after was nice, but not like the private beach in Cozumel. In Roatan we went zip lining and to the monkey park. This was a very unorganized excursion and we only made it back to the ship (in a van I thought we might have to get out and push) with 15 minutes to spare. The zip lining was fun and the monkeys were cute, but not for the price we paid. Grand Cayman was nice. I wish we had just gong to the beach but we did the sting ray and rum point. The sting rays were neat but there were SO many people there. The beach they took us to after was extremely crowded - I think we got the last 2 beach chairs. We ordered food and waited 45 minutes for it, so we had to get it in to go containers and eat on the boat on the way back.

One thing we found is there are NO clocks on the ship - which is annoying since everything is on a schedule. We brought an alarm clock which we were happy we did as there is no clock in the room either. We also brought a 3 plug outlet which came in handy for charging since there is only 1 outlet there. I used their hairdryer and it was great.

This was our first cruise so we don't have anything to really compare it to. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed being in the sun, relaxing with no stress and being together. We will definitely go on another cruise but want to try another cruise line.

Publication Date: 04/18/12