Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by firstcruiser76: Never again do not do it Aqua Class is bad.... April 7

firstcruiser76
Member Since 2012
1 Post

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Never again do not do it Aqua Class is bad.... April 7

Sail Date: April 2012

The title is very misleading. I am just hoping that the Aqua class stateroom doesn't get too much demand. We really had a great great great time on the Celebrity Eclipse. I am not sure If would still say the same if we hadn't book Aqua class, but this was one of the most relaxing vacations I ever had.

We arrived at the port at 2.20, and we were on our room at 2.35, and we even had time to get something to eat at the dining room area.

The public areas on this ship are excellent. The ship gives you the impression of entering a modern luxury mall, with shops, casinos, theaters, and lots of open spaces. We did not use the lawn much, but I think it was of refined taste. Although the space could have been to better use, had they placed another couple of pools there. The two main pools are two small and over crowded.

The stateroom was large, and comfortable, with a medium size LCD tv, mini bar, and a nice sized balcony, were you can enjoy a nice dinner, lunch, or More breakfast( we ordered room service a couple of times for lunch)

The bed is big, and comfortable. The bathroom is elegant and spacious. The sound insolation is really good, but from time to time you could hear some thumbing noise. I am not sure if the noise came from the deck above but on the last night, the noise was more present.

Our stateroom attendants were very courteous, and were nice to talk to. We really liked our "Bathroom Manager", and I really wish him well.

The best part of the cruise was dining at blu. The service was excellent, from the maitre (turkish, and portuguese), to our table waiter, (Jamaican, and Mauritious), to the somelier (usa). The first night there was like an epiphany. Eating at those chain restaurants at home, I had forgotten what real food was. I do not even remember what I ate that night, but it was then I decided I would cruise again with celebrity at no less than AQ class. THe country club feeling also helped complement the whole modern luxury experience.

We also liked the fellow cruisers that we encountered at Blu. The restaurant was quite and private with ocean views.

We really liked the staff, and the officers. Everybody seemed happy and really pleased to help. The hotel director would asks us if we needed anything. (austrian), the cruise director was really funny and energetic (USA), and the captain was probably part of My big Fat Greek wedding, as most of his officers.
when presenting the officers, it looked like a scene of the movie, when the father introduced his family. This is Nick, Nicky, and Nick, and Gus....... I almost asked him for windex when I had sunburn... Joking aside he was very friendly, elegant, and down to earth. Basically he was a great host. One of the best souvenirs was the picture with him.

The shows were good, but I think the singers were trying too hard. The guy that won the karaoke contest may have had a better voice. The best performer (singer) was an English entertainer. (She sang also on the last night). We also really enjoyed the performance on Friday morning from the staff. Our "bathroom manager" got a standing ovation while singing never walk alone (I think that was the song. If I am not mistaken, Fans sing this song at the Liverpool stadium to support their team)

They gym was also nice but small. The aqua room ( I am not sure how it was called) with the hot beds, and the saunas were great, but the staff gave out too many passes at the same time, and it got kind of annoying to be there. Instead of relaxing, I got really worked up on a couple of occasions.

The first night at sea, we encountered some rough waters, which made it really difficult for the waiters to serve you. Since they could not complain, they would ask us if we were ok, I guess to have an excuse for them to complain :) Being our first cruise, I thought we would be sea sick, but we actually enjoyed the rocking. Especially at night on the bed, it put us right to sleep.

We did not like some of the shop staff (they were too ... proper...ok ok.. they were too British for me.) Although the new guy from england at the main shop had excellent customer service manners and was really helpful and friendly.

We also liked the german travel agent. We almost booked another cruise on the spot, but then reality kicked in :). We also had one of the funniest moments of our life with her.

The glass blowing show was also good. But we were disappointed that we could not get any of the pieces. There was an auction on the last day, but the item we liked sold for over 2k...

The bingo and casino were a waste of time. ok I admit I did not win. But the worst part was being seated next to the guy that won 1500 on scratch ticket on the Bingo room.... I almost hit him with my bingo cards lol.. and then watching him pissing it all off at the casino the same night....

The best port was St. Marteen, followed by St. Kitts. San Juan should not have been a port of call. The only good things at San Juan were, the CVS, and the Polo outlet. The fort was also beautiful. If you like cats you will have a surprise on your walk to the fort...

There were not many kids, but the ones that were there made it up for it. Once on the elevator, a kid came in and held the elevator for almost 2 minutes, saying that until the mom was not there, we had to wait. One guy on the elevator said that the same kid was hiding under tables at 8 in the morning eating Ice Cream.... On the last show the cruise director said that a kid told her that she looked skinnier on the TV than in real life, and we thought that it must have been the kid form the elevator. I am assuming that the kids pool was like a warm cup of tea.... oh well

The indoor pool was nice. It reminded me of a german swimbad. But most of the crowd was over 50.

We did not try any speciality restaurants.

Minor annoying things:

the elevators were always full
internet was to expensive
drinks were expensive
difficult to find seats at the pool, and having to deal with some annoying/extra talkative people.

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise, and we are looking forward to our next one. We will probably book a 10 days instead of 7. We will also make sure that we have a better selection of ports. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse

we should not have stopped there
Read 1362 San Juan Reviews

Beach Break

(3)
we were on the waiting list. The beach was not really tha nice, and the driver seemed more interested in selling the million $ houses, that would supposedly be built there. I am assuming that there were better beaches on the island. We will probably fly there once to have a better view of the island. Although it seems that the infrastructure is not there to sustain tourism.

best port. water excellent. Seeing the 747 landing almost our head while on the catamaran was the icing on the cake