Carnival Victory Cruise Review by knrdodd: A Nice Relaxing Vacation

A Nice Relaxing Vacation

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I am a RCCL fan but booked this cruise due to the itinerary. This trip with Carnival was much better than my past experience with them.

Dining: IMO, the breakfast buffet food was "ok" and lines were long when we were at sea (expected this). Lunch buffet was enjoyable with a wide selection offered. We were early seating in the Pacific Dining Room and had wonderful service by Pravit and Ovi. Dining for my family was a pleasure because we definitely do not eat the variety of food served at our house.

Excursions:
St Thomas: Originally planned on taking son to Blackbeard's Castle and was informed via Trip Advisor to do Island Tour first and then be dropped off to save $$$. Glad that we did. Was assigned Denise by cab station and she was very personable and always had a smile on her face. She drove us to Blackbeard's Castle but we decided not to go there and ate lunch at a local eatery instead. Cost $25 USD per person.

Barbados: Thanks to Trip More Advisor, sent "taxicab or Sanjay" message stating our desire for his services. I cannot say enough good things about him. He was very patient with me while I was trying to decide what to do on the island, sent clear and precise information on where to meet him and was promptly waiting for us with a smile on his face. He even showed us a local eatery where I had the best rum punch. Cost $25 USD per person for 3 1/2 hour island tour.

St. Lucia: Did not have any excursions planned for this island and wish that I had done more research. Hated being bombarded by people offering us "taxis" and finally said "yes" just to get away. Damien, our driver, reassured us that is cab was air conditioned. NOT! We were suppose to be going shopping but ended up seeing the poverty areas on the island. The only good part was a stop at a local rum factory where tasting was only $3pp. Cost $10 USD per person.

St Kitts: My husband booked the "Fanta Sea Snorkeling tour" thru the ship and had a wonderful time. He commented that most people were interested in snorkeling but in the bar and party atmosphere on the catamaran. My son and I did the Heritage Tour thru Kittitian Tours. Once again, Akimbo took wonderful care of us. He took the time to call me and reassure me that he did not forget about us and he would meet us when we docked. He was there waiting patiently for us and had an "air conditioned van" with drinkings waiting. Cost $48 USD per person (this includes admittance to national park)

St. Maarten: Booked snorkeling tour with "Soualiga Destinations" and Capt. Bob made sure all involved had a wonderful time. $100 USD per person

Entertainment: Only seen a few shows but couldn't stand the lead female singers voice and felt the guy was adequate. Honestly, felt that there were better singers on the reality t.v. shows.

Rooms: Inside stateroom did the job but wish that our room would have had a bunk bed for my son as opposed to a mattress on the floor as this limited the space.

Had a great time on this cruise and definitely would recommend it to others. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Verandah 8291

Quite location located close to elevators "mid ship". Found room to be cramped with 3 people and believe this to be due to mattress on floor for son instead of loft bed. Bed was adequate but not the most comfortable.

Island Tour

(5.5)
Barbados: Thanks to Trip Advisor, sent "taxicab or Sanjay" message stating our desire for his services. I cannot say enough good things about him. He was very patient with me while I was trying to decide what to do on the island, sent clear and precise information on where to meet him and was promptly waiting for us with a smile on his face. He even showed us a local eatery where I had the best rum punch. Cost $25 USD per person for 3 1/2 hour island tour.

Did not do any excursions
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

Island tour

(5)

Snorkeling

St. Maarten: Capt.Bob made sure all involved had a wonderful time. $100 USD per person. Would definitely recommend this excursion.

Island Tour