Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by momnva2: Family Spring Break Cruise

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Family Spring Break Cruise

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We left Port Canaveral on Easter Sunday. Our party included 11 people- my parents (in their early 60s), my brother and I and our spouses (in our 40s), and our children ages 17, 12, 10, 10, and 7. All of the adults had cruised before, but the children had not. The cruise was full of children! The 7 year old enjoyed the kids programs, but the other kids never tried them. The adults in our party all had the attitude that the trip was for the kids, and we pretty much did what they wanted to do. There were lots of things that we all enjoyed together- rock wall, iceskating, flow rider... My favorite activity that we did together was a flip camera scavenger hunt where we were given a list of tasks to record ourselves doing around the ship.
At CocoCay we rented snorkle gear for the kids. There was an underwater scavenger hunt. Our kids didn't find a prize, but they enjoyed the experience. I wish the rental was by the hour instead of by the day, beecause they were done pretty More quick. Later in the day we did the kayaking excursion. Don't do it! It said it was a 90 minute guided tour with nature information. It was a waste of money. Rent a kayak by the hour. The guides were useless!

In St. Thomas, we booked a tour with Sonny Liston based on Cruise Critic Reviews. Sonny was entertaining, but he didn't have a lot of information. He did a great job entertaining us, but I really wanted to know more about daily life and the history of St. Thomas. I would recommend it.

St. Martaan was my favorite stop. We booked a private tour with Bernard's Tours. Our driver was Melanius otherwise known as "The Mailman" because he delivers! He was awesome. He knew everythig about the island and was extremely accomodating. He took us to feed iguanas, touch sea urchins, play at the beach, eat at a local place, eat again at a French bakery, and to see the planes take off next to another beach. We had a great time.

Our time on the ship was good. We had 5 rooms with 2 different stewards. They were both good and entertained us with towel animals every night.

The food was disappointing. Every time I go on a cruise, it seems like the food is less exciting. Maybe it is because I am getting older, more experienced, and harder to impress. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas 9669

I was in room 9669. It was booked for my husband, 10 year old daughter, and I. My daughter ended up sleeping with her cousins in another room, and I was really happy because we didn't have to pull down the bunkbeds. The room could sleep 4, but it would be like sleeping in bunkbeds. It would also be difficult to fit 4 adult's luggage in that room.

Do not do the kayak excursion. The guides were worthless. It will be cheaper and probably more fun to rent a kayak for an hour. I wish we would have spent more time walking around the island. Paths looked great. We snorkled because we thought the kids should have the experience, but the rental is for the whole day and the kids only wanted to do it for an hour or so. If I had it to do over, I would have walked around on the paths and rented a kayak for an hour.
Read 223 CocoCay Reviews

We booked a private tour with Bernard's Tours. It was FANTASTIC! It included shopping, sightseeing, and beach time. Our tour guide was amazing.

Island Tour

(4)
Tour in an open vehicle included shopping, sightseeing, and beach time. It also included singing.