Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Goldilocks77: NCL Sun 4/7-4/14

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

NCL Sun 4/7-4/14

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I Went out on a seven day Eastern Caribbean Itinerary which included some great ports. We have only cruised on NCL and so I don't have much reference except other NCL cruises we have been on, but I will do my best to be as objective as possible.

We left from Port Canaveral, which was a first for us. This port was not pretty, very industrial area. However, being on Easter weekend, it was more economical to drive from our coastal NC home, so we did.

We parked at the Radisson Resort at the Port, but didn't stay there until our return on the 14th. The free shuttle was great, but the wait to take the five minute ride to the port was grueling to say the least. The transportation attendants were rude, and obviously stressed out! However, we were excited and didn't let it get us down. Everyone else at the Radisson was wonderful . The food and service, the drinks, the room, the pool, everything there was impeccable and I highly recommend this as a pre or post More cruise hotel.

Embarkation was a breeze. We were able to board as Priority, since we had been upgraded to Silver Latitudes members, which made boarding an absolute breeze.

Upon first arriving on the Sun, I noticed the set up was a cross between the Sky and the Pearl. -A very small ship with beautiful clear glass panoramic elevators with white marble accents. The ship itself lacked the frills. No water slides, only two small, cold pools, four hot tubs, very few lounge chairs, but a ton of the tables with chairs that are typically just around the Great Outdoors venue.

We were able to go to our room promptly at 2;00, which was nice. Our room was on the 9th floor, close to elevators and stairs. -Centrally located to everything, mid ship. The room itself was fairly roomy. I instantly noticed that there was an ample amount of walking space between the desk with TV, and the pull-out couch, with a nice small square table in front of the couch. The bed was incredible comfy, appointed with very soft pillows, blankets, and sheet. - This has been one consistency in all the NCL ships we have been on. The closet was standard. The bathroom had a tiny shower...and I mean TINY! I couldn't even shave my legs in it. I had to go down to the spa (which there was no up-charge to use on this ship), where there were slightly bigger showers. The TV was very small and an old box style TV, which only got about 6 channels, besides the 4 NCL channels.

Food-
The first night we ate at the main dining room, the Four Seasons. Terrible food. And I'm not picky. The service was great. The menu included Prime rib, which was flavorless and rubbery. The other items don't even bear mentioning.
The next night was a buffet night. Not a lot of options there either. If you don't like Indian food, plan on going elsewhere. The salad bar was a safe bet. -Thus, I ate a ton of salads on this cruise.
Night three, we hit the paid restaurant called East Meets West, which confused me a little because that was usually a Chinese restaurant. This time, however, it was a steakhouse. The fare there was so-so. My hubby and I both ordered the fillet Mignon, which was once again flavorless. The creamed spinach needed a little salt but was ok. The service was pretty good. -Not stand-out, but pretty good. Next evening was another buffet because we had feasted in Puerto Rico on mofungo, which was AWESOME!!! Night five we ate at Moderno, the Brazilian Steakhouse. Best meal all cruise!!!! Great service, great food, and plenty of it, wonderful wine...highly recommend. (I ate at a Moderno on the Epic and it wasn't all that great.)Night six, we gave the other dining room a shot-Seven Seas. Fantastic...I had pork tenderloin medallions with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. Hubby had the rib eye, which he said was ok. We had the same server as in the Four Season, and the service was just as good. The desert was delicious cheesecake with strawberry compote.

Boring, boring, boring. I found there was nothing interesting to do besides hang out in the casino. The White Hot Party, which I usually LOVE, was no fun because it was held in Dazzles instead of on the pool deck like usual. We saw a solo singer on the first night, which we caught the tail end of-mediocre. We also saw a "comedy magician," which was not great either. Sorry, but I didn't think it was funny to pull a five year old girl onto the stage and nearly make her cry because you stomp her balloon animal to smithereens. I have a five year old, and they take balloons pretty seriously. After that night, I gave up on the "shows" on board.

Ports

All were great. Nassau was beautiful as usual. I won't book at Atlantis through the ship again, since I found out I can get a room at the Comfort Inn for $150 and get up to 4 wristbands, instead of paying $179 each through the cruise line.
I strongly recommend walking down to cabbage Beach to the Riu to get a Pina Colada like no other. It's at a little shack on the beach called the Naughty Pirate. Just take my word for it...

St Thomas...I suggest booking an excursion here. There really isn't much to do besides shop, and I hear that the ferry to St John I nice and the snorkeling at Trunk Cay is phenomenal.

Puerto Rico... Went on a $47 bus ride into the Rainforest which included a nice hike to a beautiful waterfall, a spectacular view from an observation tower, and a Old San Juan tour. We didn't book through the cruise line, obviously! San Juan is a beautiful city. The people were nice, the food was great, and Id love to go back.

Great Stirrup Cay...Loved it! We had never been able to tender over before on other cruises, so this was a first for us. We did some snorkeling, enjoyed the buffet, which was much better than what had been served all week on board. Had a very relaxing final stop on our cruise.

I really liked the itinerary on this cruise, but I must say that the overall experience was poor. I will most likely be trying RCCL next. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Pool Deck 9053

Very nice! food was excellent compared to that on the buffet onboard. Snorkeling was nice, but I recommend getting your own equipment before you cruise. $27 is a little much for a rental, considering you can buy for the same price!

Atlantis Aquaventure

(3)
very expensive for what you actually get

Went into the rainforest with independent driver for only $47. Took a scenic drive, stopped and ate cold coconuts, hiked to a waterfall, climbed up a historic observation tower, and finally ended with a city tour of Old San Juan. Excellent experience!
Read 1367 San Juan Reviews

Book an excursion!!!! Unless you just like hitting the overpriced tourist trap shops.
Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews