Carnival Legend Cruise Review by tammlynn

Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on a Spring Break Cruise
This was our 18th cruise, and 6th time on Carnival and 2nd time on the Legend. We stayed at the Intercontinental Tampa on a very reasonable cruise/park/stay package and all went perfectly. Comfortable hotel, great location, easy to use shuttle system through Blue One, and trouble free parking.

The Good ( actually Great). I love the size of this ship, with only about 2100 passengers it doesn't feel too crowded. The serenity deck is very relaxing with comfortable loungers and hammocks for adults only. The spa is really nice with free use of the hot tub, the steam room, and sauna. The staff are all (for the most part) really nice, our room stewards and dining staff were very professional and did a great job! The food was very good. The lobster, seafood, Italian dishes were all amazing. Now the buffet doesn't have a large selection of choices, but there was always something that was really delicious. For example a seafood pasta with lots of delicious seafood in it, the fish was always tasty, fettuccine with a porcini type of sauce, and crab cakes full of real crab which was astonishing because they were on the all you can eat buffet and they were really good. I was definitely happily surprised! Our location of our cabin 7327 was really nice since it was very quiet, located in the aft part of the ship near coffee in the am, and near the Serenity Deck where we hung out most of the time.

As for the Entertainment: the comedians were all hilarious! Scotty K was my favorite only because of his quick wit, and he was just outrageous!

The ports were all pretty good!

Cozumel: As always, we rented scooters from a company across the street from the port for $33 per scooter for the day. We drove out to Punta Sur and along the coast road which was so beautiful. We stopped and had a picnic on the beach which we had all to ourselves. I just love that area!

Belize: Although the tendering process is extremely annoying, our tour of the Altun Ha ruins was pretty good. We booked a tour through "Experience Belize Tours" for $40 pp which was suppose to include a city tour, admission and tour of the ruins, beer and soda, and a return ride to the ship. The tour guide was waiting for another group who was going to be another hour, so he farmed us out to an independent guide by the name of Denise. While her tour did not include drinks or the admission to the ruins it was still pretty good and as an added bonus it was private. The ruins were pretty cool. We got there early and it wasn't crowded at all. In fact I was the only person on the largest ruin for awhile. Denise was very personable and even stopped at her favorite grocery store for me so I could buy some local coconut oil and cooking spices. I would definitely recommend this tour, we were back with plenty of time.

Roatan: My favorite port! Gorgeous beach right next to the ship, although it was tempting just to hang out there, I had booked the Saddle and Swim West Bay through El Rancho Barrio Dorcas! Now I would not recommend this excursion if you are a real big person, as the horses are smaller and bit skinny. The ride was amazing! We rode through a residential area right through the funky little beach town of West End, ran the horses along the beach, and then rode briefly through the forest. The ride along the rode is a little nerve-wracking but the horses did fine and the cars seemed to notice us. Our guide, Isabel was just great. Very informative and laid back. This was one of the best horseback riding experiences I have ever had!

Grand Cayman: We walked to the left of the terminal to Cayman Auto Rental and rented another scooter for $50 and headed to Rum Point . Rum Point is beautiful with free loungers under shade trees and crystal clear water! We brought our own flotation device and relaxed in the water under the shade of the trees!

The Bad: Our first night in the Anytime dining was painstakingly slow! The waiter just sat and stared at something at his station for at least 5 minutes before coming to our table and we were one of the first tables to be sat. Dinner took at least 90 minutes with really long waits between courses. The next night we got another server named Ringo and he was great. We were finishing our dessert when the table in the other guys section who had sat before we did was just getting their dinner. We started to think the other server was really slow, since there was little incentive to move faster, he would get paid the same regardless, so why rush.

The other minor annoyances are there are no chairs or loungers on the 3rd deck which would be a great place to relax. Also, the doors are locked to the bow of the ship, so you can only see forward through the tinted glass.

The Ugly: The casino still seem rigged to my husband who sat down and instantly lost hand after hand of Blackjack. He had more money budgeted to gamble with but decided the odds of losing it all were 100% so he stayed away from the casino the rest of the cruise.

The other really bad experience happened to us in the Punchliner Comedy Club. One server who called himself K-Man but wasn't wearing a name badge, got really nasty with us when we wouldn't buy a beer. He welcomed us into the club "hello my friends, here is your table, what would you like to drink?" When we told him "No thank you" to the drinks, he informed us the seats were for his "drinking customers". Wow! We moved to another seat, not a big deal. The next night he did it again. He set 2 unopened Bud Lights on a table and when my husband sat down, he said they were saved for someone who had ordered the beers, when he kept trying to steer people walking in towards the beers, they just looked at him and walked on. My husband told him " I know your scam and I am not moving". Finally he picked up the beers and did not harass us again. I guess I somewhat expected to be kind of hustled in port, but that kind of small time hustle on the ship itself was a bit of a shock. Besides the shows are free, there was nothing in the rules stating we had to buy some Bud Lights to sit there!

Despite a couple of negative experiences, this was a really nice cruise and this continues to be one of my favorite ships and we would definitely cruise on it again!

Publication Date: 04/17/12