Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by RoxieRue: Newly refurbished Summit

Newly refurbished Summit

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This was my second cruise with Celebrity after a run of disappointing cruises with Royal Caribbean, which we will not be returning to anytime soon. The refurbished Summit was a delight the service was the best of all the 15 cruises we have taken. The housekeeping staff is never to be seen but always seem to take care of the rooms unnoticed their service was excellent in the new AquaClass 11 floor rooms. Our room 1102 and 1138 both received ash daily from the smoke stacks, but did not pose a problem. The bathrooms were larger than previous with glass shower doors and an excellent water fall shower head. The beds were a little firm but did not interfere with sleep. The room was very quiet.

The best of all was the Blue Restaurant, which we ate at every night. The service was excellent and equal to a 5 star restaurant. The food was over the top excellent with the rack of lamb my favorite, steaks were tender and cooked to perfectly.

The Persian Gardens on this More class of ship was less than expected, and not worth paying for in AquaClass. But the Blue Restaurant was worth the extra cost for AquaClass. The steam room was nice but they had a bright light in the steam room making it uncomfortable, when I asked a repairman to dim or put a lower wattage bulb in he just looked at me like "buss off". I have another cruise planned on the Silhouette in 12/1/12, which is what the original AquaClass was designed for I am sure this will be better.

The ship was clean, the drinks were fixed perfectly, and the singers were excellent. The shows were less than expected, but this was smaller ship.

Over all this cruise was excellent. The port of call were similar to all Caribbean ports, but we did have fun. I give the Summit an A- to B+ for luxury cruise lines. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Continental Deck (2) 1102

1102 - New cabin, some soot on chairs from smoke stack in the morning, but not a problem. The location of the room was excellent close to the elevators, buffet on 10 floor, and the top deck. The room was quiet, little exterior noise during the day, and none at night. The showers were excellent, with large bathrooms.

Island tour

(3)
We selected a local driver to take us to Champagne Beach, and a tour of the island. Champagne beach was disappointing as it was all rock, cost $2.00 each to get in. My friend said there were "some" fish I thought there should be other beaches I would suggest another area to go to. The driver took us to the rain forest, and steam pools. I personally would just as soon have stayed on the ship. The island is extremely poor. I would recommend a boat tour as the roads are extremely rough wherever you go.

Grenada, was interesting and they have finally recovered mostly from the 2004 storm. The beaches we went to had no fish swimming in the water therefore, not much to see if snorkeling. There is a local Catholic Church that the roof was blown off due to the storm in 2004 that was refurbished by the local pastor Father Carroll whom we met at the church. He is an old school Irish priest who was a joy to talk to about the church and island. The local walk on the water front was interesting but the island is quite hilly "steep" so besure to wear shoes. I would suggest taking a boat tour and enjoy the water around the island.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

As this was an Easter cruise we went to the local Catholic church on St. Croix was was excellent in both local flavor and history as the church was build in 1846. The service on board was not until 5:00 p.m. for us too late. It rained so we did not do much locally, but ate well on board and went to the steam room.

My party decided to go to Morning Star beach at the base of the Marriott Hotel. The hotel was wonderful to explore, but the beach was nice swim at but not to snorkel, as there was no fish. I would suggest you go to Sapphire Beach & Island Drive - STF5. We walked around town and took the $21.00 tram to Paradise Point for a drink, its a short 5min. walk from the ship to the tram. The shops are nice at the pier and there is an excellent camera shop. I like St. Thomas as there is much to do locally or you can go to St. John's. Would not suggest the helmet dive.
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews