Crown Princess Cruise Review by JVR

Cruise Date: April 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: BC
Cabin Number: R718
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Mixed emotions on this one
Well this was our 5th sailing on Princess, the second on this ship, the Crown Princess. I love the ship, but Princess has gone down a bit on the quality of food and some of thier policies need to be questioned which I will hit on later. From the begining, Embarking and Disembarking the ship was a breeze, Princess really does a great job at this and all the employees involved in the process were friendly and expiditious. We went directly to our room which was clean and ready for use around 12:30 in the early afternoon. Our luggage arived in less than an hour, which was really fast. Went to The buffet, which was hot but offered a limited selection of what I consider "Good Food". There were some days that the food was excellent and other days it was so-so at best in the buffet. We ate Dinner in the Dining room 5 out of 7 nights, two of the nights, one of which was the Captains dinner was outstanding, the other 3 nights were very pretty to look at but were rather tasteless and bland. Ninty eight percent of the crew were very pleasant and helpful which I believe is outstanding.

The shore excursions were nice, Princess cays was very nice, Curaco was nice and Aruba is one of our favorite Islands having visited it three times.

Now the Bad, we embarked on a Saturday and left port at 4pm. On Sunday, while sitting in the open area on the back of the ship on the Riviera Deck relaxing, my mother in law, who is 68 years old was suddenly struck in the back with a Golf ball from an upper deck where presumably, put put golf was being played. The ball hit her with enogh force that it hit her back, bounced off and hit me 4 feet away. There were crew members who witnessed it but they really didnt seem surprised. My mother in law is a very slight and thin and it hurt her enough that she had to see the ships doctor. Everyone treated her well during the process and the Captain actually sent her three yellow roses the next day with a get well message attached, which was nice. HOWEVER, my mother in Law was visited three times by a ships officer who knocked on her door and accused her of smoking on her balcony and she nor her room mate smoke at all. It must have been an adjacent room that called because she got a hand written note presumably by another passenger asking her to please stop smoking on the balcony. Obviously someone who didn't care for smoke did smell something somewhere but the blame was misplaced and she was constantly worried she was going to be fined for something she wasn't doing. Another couple we had met on the ship earlier told us they were having breakfast on their balcony when a purser and a ships officer came into their locked room and opened the Balcony door to accuse them of smoking and they were on the opposite side of the ship from my mother in law 14 floors up. They were very upset, both were in their 60's and both stated they could have been nude for all the officers knew when the entered their room, what an embarrassment that could have been. The door, in case you are wondering again was locked. My recommendation to Princess would be to make a rear upper portion of the ship smoking available on the Balcony to accommodate those who do smoke so the smoke blows back as the ship moves and does not bother other passengers. That way they (Princess) can leave those of us who do not smoke alone and not make accusations that are not founded. I do not smoke but don't care if someone else does, I realize there are those that do, but accommodations should be made to avoid these annoying at best, accusations. Thank You

Publication Date: 04/17/12