Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by phoenixbws: Bigger does'nt always mean better

phoenixbws
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Bigger does'nt always mean better

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

This was our second cruise with Royal Caribbean. The first was on the Allure which was fantastic, HUGE, new. The second cruise, Jewel of the seas. I booked with a certified vacation planner and chose the JOTS for the ports and cost. We were lucky. The previous reviews indicated a number of incidents with drunk, obnoxious spring breakers ruining the fun for everybody else. Everyone was well behaved and fun loving. I admit, I would have enjoyed watching the young kids cutting loose and having fun but, that is just me.

The pros of the cruise; Access from our hotel to the boat, no wait checking in and boarding the ship, the staff was professional, friendly. Our room (2008 with a balcony) was fantastic! - It is at the front of the ship, full sized balcony. Our friends who cruised the same ship a few weeks ago had a totally different review (They had the unruly spring breakers) and their balcony was in the back of the ship. We did not feel the wind at all from our balcony, More I will always try for the front of the ship when booking from now on. The Windjammer - typical buffet food (same on the Allure), nothing special, but it was tasty and filled your belly. the Tides restaurant was great. The lobster night was excellent! Nice size lobster and as many as you could eat (I had 3). We ate at Chops the last night and, WOW! nice atmosphere, GREAT food, GREAT service. Entertainment: We went to all the shows, nicely done, entertaining. Watched two movies - it was a nice theater.

Cons of the cruise: The smell of raw sewage in our room from time to time was really the only con of the cruise.
Cost of alcohol was outrageous!
only one midnight buffet. Food after midnight consisted of cardboard pizza that was horrible.

Excursions: We chose the mayan ruins through Royal caribbean. The guide was great. But the time was very limited. We did get to see the country side which was nice. Our guide Jesus Rivera was fantastic!

If you can, do some excursions on your own. You'll find you have more time, save alot more $$ and not feel rushed.

All-in-all, This was a better cruise than being on the Allure to me. Much more relaxed, and calm. The Allure was fantastic..... but I enjoyed the Jewel of the sea. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 8008

A pleasant surprise!. 8008 was a nice size, typical bathroom, the balcony looks small on the schematic but it was full sized, PLUS being in the front of the ship, you didn't smell the stench from cancer sticks, there was no strong winds like the back balconies. It is nice to just sit there and watch the sun rise and fall. Very quiet spot, really didn't feel much of the rocking.

Mayan Ruins

Very good tour. Two hours to get there, rushed 2 hour tour followed by another 2 hour trip. The guide was great!

Nice day in Cozumel. People were friendly and helpful. Eat at panera's and see the kaokao chocolate factory. GREAT time.
Read 3139 Cozumel Reviews