MSC Splendida Cruise Review by Jen and Joe Traveler: Cruising with kids: Don't book MSC- book Royal Caribbean

Jen and Joe Traveler

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Genoa

Kids Zone:
MSC is not a kid friendly cruise for English speaking passengers. Last summer we took a Royal Caribbean cruise and my kids loved the kid's club so much that we could barely drag them out; however, this is not the case with the MSC cruise line. The staff keep the children in one small room playing the same movie over and over again in "Italian only". If the kids do not want to watch the movie, the only other option is to either play table soccer (only one table) or the Wii (only one Wii console). This makes for a very boring few hours. My children begged me not to go back after just one experience.

Entertainment:
I was surprised to find out that MSC offers very few activities throughout the day (both sea days or at port). If you like to do something other than a 30 minute dance lesson, then choose a different cruise line. Although I have to say that at least two of the 6 night shows were very captivating.

Food:
The breakfast and lunch buffet More were fantastic. They offered a variety of foods that both my kids and I really enjoyed. Dinner on the other hand was very lacking both in choices and flavor. Voyager of the Seas -Royal Caribbean had such tasty meals EVERY night that I looked forward to dinner on MSC Splendida, only to be let down night after night. I could probably name only a handful of dishes on MSC that were actually appetizing. Less

Read more MSC Splendida cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Splendida Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Splendida Interior Canaletto Deck

City Tour

(3)
This was not an only English speaking tour therefore the tour guide was switching from Italian and English so quickly that you felt like you were missing out on so much. I would tour Barcelona on my own next time or try to hire a tour guide not booked through the cruise line.

This was the first time that we did not take an excursion and for the first time we actually had a wonderful time. The cruise line was charging over 320 euros for the all day excursion that included bus ride from the port through Rome. However, my family took the train that cost 36 euros round trip for all of us. We walked through Vatican City and the main Rome sights reading all the literature attached to every monument. Great experience and would love to go back to Rome as we didn't feel that 8 hours was enough time to truly appreciate everything that Rome has to offer.

City Tour

(4)
Tour guide was very knowledgeable and you could tell that he was proud of his heritage. We visited many ancient sites that I would have likely never visited had I not taken the tour. My only dislike about this tour was that he kept taking us to his "friends" shop in which we were bombarded by salesmen trying to sell EVERYTHING to us. I felt a little intimidated and was only assured having my husband right by my side at all times.