Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisephypro

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisephypro
Allure of the Seas
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        10-12 2.0

Fun with the grandchildren
My husband and I went on the Allure of the Seas to the eastern caribbean. This was the first cruise for our grandchildren age 10 and 12. Everyone had a ball. My husband and I sailed previously on the Oasis, so we new what a grand adventure was in store for them. We chose two adjoining central park view window cabins. Each was comfortable and our cabin steward, Roweana was wonderful. The cabin overlooks a beautiful little park that is comprised of upscale restaurants and shops. It also has a bar that is an escalator. Since it was their first cruise, I didn't want a water view as I thought they might not like looking at the water. We had also stayed in central park before and loved the location. The boardwalk location is very noisy and I wouldn't recommend it for people who might want to go to bed before midnight as it is a popular night spot.

Boarding the ship was easy- we are Diamond club members and we were checked in quickly. We then took our boarding pictures and proceeded to a priority boarding area. Last year when we sailed on the Oasis, we had cookies and beverages in the waiting area- Not this time. We boarded the ship around noon. Our cabins weren't ready until about one- so we proceeded to the spa to make reservations and then had lunch at the windjammer cafe. The food was good- the windjammer has stations helping to minimize crowding- while the facility was crowded each time we ate their, we never had a problem finding a table.

We ate in Chops speciality restaurant twice- and Giovianni's once. The waiter at Giovianni's Mehi was fabulous. We also dined , early fixed seating at the Adagio main dining room. The food at Chops was as good as any fine steakhouse- and also excellent in Giovanni's. The main dining room also had very good food with ample choices. We had lunch at Johnny Rockets twice- which was fun for all. My only not so great dining experience was room service. One morning due to an early shore excursion we dined in our cabins- food was cold and not nicely prepared- They also left out a few items that we ordered. Do not recommend room service. Since the coffee on all cruise ships we have sailed on isn't great- I opted for starbucks coffee every morning. They have a real starbucks in the center of the promenade area of the ship. Worth the two dollars. THe ship had so many dining venues many free some at a cost. While my grandchildren enjoy Sushi- Izumi the japanese restaurant was extremely expensive- they charge an entrance fee and all food is ala carte- Really not fair considering all food is paid for. We didn't mind a flat service fee as charged in chops and Giovianni's but Izumi's could cost a fortune. The hot dogs on the boardwalk were also excellent- and free. The ice cream on the boardwalk was costly, but excellent- free ice-cream and yogurt were available at the pool most of the day.

We purchased an unlimited picture package- really well worth it! We got all of the hard copies and a CD of all of the pictures, While we got about three hundred pictures for $400., had we paid for even 20 professional pictures we would have paid the same rate. I highly recommend this package.

The shows were excellent- Broadway quality Chicago, a Cirque de sole type show, an Abba review, an ice-capade type show and an aquacade show were not to be believed We didn't see the comedy club as it was for adults only. In addition, many venues for dancing , listening to music movies, karaoke, etc-Yes this was a cruise ship.

The pool areas were great- a watermark including flow riders and rock climbing walls for kids and kids at heart and a zip line going across the board walk of the ship. Did I mention the ship has a full sized carousel at the boardwalk! The ice skating rink is also open during the day for skating. You can get skates free and ice-skate. If you want a quite place to just sit and do nothing- you can find it on this ship.

All in all this was a wonderful vacation Truly a floating resort. While the ship was busy, the control of the flow of passengers was wonderful. My husband and I have booked a back to back cruise for next year on the Oasis sister of the Allure. While were previously sailed on the Oasis with another grandchild, We want to enjoy the adult areas and other venues we didn't have an opportunity to enjoy with our grandchildren. We are satisfied passengers. Since the ship is so large, the sailing was smooth and very enjoyable.

Publication Date: 04/13/12