Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Lisabee630: The Sky Is The Limit

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

The Sky Is The Limit

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Bahamas

Let me preface this by sayng we had 2 cruise-lovers and one cruise-hater on this trip. My teenage daughter and I love to cruise and my husband hates it. But of course, the women won this round. We have been on two other lines and found NCL far superior to the others in every aspect. Embarkation was quick and painless. We arrived at the port around 12:30 and breezed thru the process. It helps to have everything prepared ahead of time. While our room was not ready per se we were directed up to the pool deck for lunch and to enjoy the pool. We had brought small carry ons for this purpose. One thing I loved was the fact that they were not pushing alcohol on the pool deck. The wait staff was available but not obtrusive which cuts down tremendously on drunken fools.

The Sky is a nice, small ship. It was easy to get around and it felt cozy. Our room was incredibly clean and neat which put my husband at ease as we had just come South Beach and a run down disgusting room. We had an More ocean view with a large picture window, double bed and pull out. We managed to utilize every square inch of storage for our wardrobe. It just took some creative maneuverability. Once in our room we discovered the safe did not work and told our room attendant. He was able to get someone up to fix it but it again did not work and we did not want to wait around for security so we never had it attended to which was our choice.

The food on this trip was fantastic. The Garden Cafe on the pool deck was always fresh, the food in the dining rooms was high quality and the wait staff were incredibly efficient. We never had a wait for a table and let me say, Freestyle dining ROCKS! I'm amazed more lines don't do this. We never ever felt rushed, either in getting to dinner or lingering over coffee and dessert.

There was a musician on board named Randon that is not to be missed. His voice was beautiful. Jeffery was good on the piano but all of his songs seemed rushed. Like he was trying to get through them as quickly as possible. Note to Jefferey, "Walking In Memphis" is supposed to be a soulful song, not a Disney pop karaoke song. We had never been to Freeport before and foundit rather underwhelming. We rented scooters and went to Port Lucayan beach for the day. If you come to this port, think about an excursion here because otherwise there's not a lot going on.

Our second stop was Nassau. This was our third time here. We walked for an hour or so and then took a water taxi to Atlantis and ended up on the public beach for the day and enjoyed the water sports. We ended up sharing a taxi back to the port with a family off a different cruise line and we all agreed that it was a good day on the beach. But beware some cab drivers on the way back. We put 9 people in his van and he would not leave until he had 3 more even after we offered to pay him extra. All of us finally got out and jumped in a different van as there were about 40 cabs sitting there. Even our new driver thought the previous one was a fool.

Our third stop was NCLs private island Great Stirrup Cay. While the island is nice and the water is beautiful, NCL needs to check out Royal Caribbean's island Coco Cay to see how it should be done. Coco Cay had hammocks everywhere, a beautiful walking path, kayak rentals, etc. GSC offered those things but a ridiculous price. The straw market was a joke. Nothing was remotely interesting. Just the same lame t shirts and trinkets you can find on any street corner in the port. On CC I was able buy beautiful jewelry, not so on GSC. However, the lunch was outstanding and the games were fun.

On our last night my husband said he would definitely cruise NCL again and even asked the staff about other ships and trips we might enjoy. He was impressed with the staff and the ship and liked the fact that the people on the ship were there for a fun vacation and there were not a lot of loud, drunk and obnoxious people on board. Disembarkation could have gone smoother. We were give instructions on leaving our bags outside the rooms the night before to be collected if you want them portered off the ship. However, we failed to notice that you had to go get new luggage tags and have the bags out by midnight. Why? You might ask did we not know this? Because, the instructions for these crucial steps were written on the back page of the days 4 page itinerary, in very small lettering. I think it would be helpful if NCL gave out a separate instruction sheet for this process. In larger lettering, with bold type, in plain bullet point format. We ended up having to carry all of our baggage which was not the end of the world but it was annoying. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 6003

Cabin 6003 is great for two adults and one small child. My daughter is 17 and very small and she barely fit in the pullout couch. And be prepared to be stepping over everybody when the bed is pulled out. But the room was clean and bright.