Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by nursebetty: Equinox Cruise 3/12

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Southern Caribbean Cruises

Equinox Cruise 3/12

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale on 3/26/2012. The Equinox is beautiful. We tried Aqua Class and the advantages are being able to eat in Blu and use of the relaxation room in the SPA. Having had balcony staterooms prior to this cruise, we were disappointed by the storage. I am 5'4" and could not reach the overhead storage over our bed, not a big problem, but we adjusted. The shower is nice, but we found the shower and toilet are too close together...we adjusted. My husband lost his camera in the stateroom and it was not recovered.. Celebrity called us and said they had not located it.

The service is great overall, especially in Blu and the Silk Harvest Restaurant. All of the maitre d's shipwide are excellent. The only negative person we encountered was in the watch shop. The young man working there was very abrupt every time we visited. He is the only negative encounter we had with any staff.

As far as the shore excursions, we booked the cooking class in More Cozemel and it was WONDERFUL! I highly recommend it..our Mexican chef has worked worldwide, kitchen was spotless free drinks and learned how to cook a 3 course meal (we had to eat what each of us cooked). We would definately do this again. This was our 3rd trip to Cozemel and by far the best.

Loved Honduras - took the tour of Gumbalimba Park and then the beach. Both were great, it also included lunch. Beaches are beautiful and ocean was just right even though it was March. The park had lots of friendly little monkeys and beautiful birds and vegetation. Highly recommend this one also.

However....while visiting the Dole banana plantation in Costa Rica, I fell coming out of the very primitive bathroom...I won't describe how primitive it is but Dole should be ashamed of these conditions for their workers as well as visitors. I suggest always buying travel insurance! Because of the location of the excursion I could not get ice on my ankle for over an hour. The ship medical personnal treated me when I returned to the ship. I could not bear weight on my left foot and was in a wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise. That was the worst of my injuries. The ship is very wheelchair friendly thankfully.

I can't comment on Panama, or Cartegna. We have been to the Cayman's before and always liked it. We found the shore excursions to be expensive. The only ones I was glad we booked before I fell were Cozemel and Honduras, we did not do any after Costa Rica, I was not up to it.

I bought a beverage package(over $600) and would not do it again, because I drank more than normal since I was not paying for each one and in the specialty restaurants they keep your glass filled! My husband purchased the individual plan for his scotch and it was a large bottle of Dewars for $80 (before tips, etc.) He also got free set ups, i.e. whatever you wanted to mix it with. This was well worth it to him.We ate in the main dining room twice. Not really impressed with the food, especially when being in Aqua Class you can eat breakfast and dinner in Blu..so not a really good comparison, but the Ocean View Cafe always had a great variety of food and we found it to be very good for in-between meals.
This ship has everything you could ask for depending on your taste and wallet. I am not sure if we will do Aqua Class again or even Concierge class as we have in the past, again these are personal choices. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>