Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by DebiOliva: Don't waste your money!

DebiOliva
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Western Caribbean Cruises

Don't waste your money!

Sail Date: April 2012

My daughter {22 years old} had been begging me to go on a cruise during her vacation time, which was also spring break. We live in Florida and cruise often on Royal Caribbean. I had checked the itinerary of the RC lines and none were going to decent beach destinations so I chose to try Celebrity since I had been told to try it since I loved RC so much as it was their "5 star line". I also had heard that Celebrity food was so much better than RC.

This cruise was a total joke from the beginning. First, I am Diamond Plus with RC and was told I would get the same perks as on RC. NOT! Even though I was labeled as Captains Club Elite, the only recognition I received was 2 red roses delivered to my room on the second day of the cruise. {I thought this was nice}. We were invited to have free drinks from 5pm to 8pm nightly in the Michaels Club but, we had dinner at 6pm and found it hard to attend when we needed to be dressed for dinner. They did not allow you to take the drinks. You More had to sit and drink them there. And, by the time dinner was over, so was the event. So, this was useless. There is no reason to have the priority tender, embarkation or debarkation as there were no lines to begin with. The special robes that (on RC) are given to just loyalty patrons were given to everyone on board this ship.

Now, for the cruise itself. When boarding the ship, the crew was not friendly at all. There were no smiles, no welcome aboard, they just stood there. I even said hello to a couple and all I got back was hi. They did give you mimosas upon boarding though. But, this would have been so much nicer had they been standing at the gang plank with smiles and maybe a reggae band. But, they handed it out in the hallway when you got on the ship and most people missed out because it was kinda hidden. I noticed right away the rust and dirtiness of the ship. The windows instantly caught my attention with all the salt spray that had not been cleaned off. The drapes were dirty, so dirty in fact that you could see the dirt from the outside of the windows! The fabrics on the chairs were all worn. Some with holes in them. I seriously could not believe that RC could call this ship their 5 star line. I had already knew that this ship was scheduled for dry dock, but I had been on several of RC ships that were also scheduled for dry dock and none of them looked no where near as bad as this ship did. This ship doesn't need dry dock, it needs a complete over haul. We could not get into our staterooms until 2pm (RC has you in your stateroom by 1pm at the latest) so, we went to the dining room to use my so called "Captains Club" perks and get a table by a window. When I arrived and asked about this, they looked at me like a deer caught in headlights. After about an hour, I did get this finally arranged. Then off to the Ocean Cafe. THIS was a COMPLETE joke. IF you are a coffee drinker, don't take a cruise on this ship. Unfortunately, I am and found this out the hard way. Even though there are 3 drink stations in this cafe. Only one always had coffee cups. AND, because of this, the coffee was always out. So, you had to go to one coffee station get your cup then go to the back of the cafe to get your coffee. I thought well maybe since this is the first day, maybe it will get better tomorrow. NOT! This was the whole cruise. The food was "ok" but it was the same foods every single day. There was only 1 person maintaining each station so you waited in line for a long time for each peice of food. They serve you on this ship, you cannot go and get your own food. I thought this was a bad decision on Celebritys part. They do have ice cream on this ship but, again they serve you and again only one person their to dip the ice cream for you and that was always a huge line. AND the person doing it had no clue as to how to put soft serve on a cone. I wish I had taken a picture of this because this was hillarious. One string of soft serve which you could eat in two licks. SERIOUSLY!

We finally get in the stateroom and I really liked the balcony. Our balcony was bigger than most on the ship so that I was happy about. The room seemed clean but the floor in the bathroom was horrible. Mold in the grout. We used a towel to cover it up. The showers on this ship are bigger than RC and we liked that as well. It had plenty of room for storage. There were drawers in the closet when was nice. We had three in our room and even with the bunk pulled out of the ceiling at night, there was plenty of room. The room attendant we saw only once during the whole cruise, but he did keep our room nice. We had to ask for towel pets though. And he did make one for our daughter. I will warn you of this though..make sure the handle on the balcony door is in the down position, otherwise, you will be locked out of your room and stuck on the balcony. We had to save our neighbors twice. We also hung a hammock on our balcony and if you want to know how or see pictures, let me know and I will do so.

The food in the dining room was fair. The lobster was overcooked and very tough. Normally , I order two of these but because of this , I didnt even eat the one I had. I thought my filet mignon was good but others at the table didn't. They did have mushrooms on the appetizer menu every night and I would have to say these were awesome. I would say that Royal Caribbeans food was much better.

Room service. As many times as I have cruised, I have never seen room service as bad as this. I order room service every morning on all my cruises so I have coffee as soon as I get up. On this ship, you order room service on the interactive television. The first night on ship I ordered it, they called me back on the phone to confirm. In the morning, no room service. I called to see where it was at and they said they did not get the order the night before. I laughed and said hun, they called me and confirmed it! So, I reordered it again and 2 hours later I get it. I have three people in the room and told them this. 1 small pot of coffee and 2 cups. No sugar, No cream. I call down to get them to correct this and noone answered the phone. I ordered room service a total of 8 times and not one time was it right or on time. By the end of the cruise this had become a joke.

There are not a lot of activities for the young at heart. The pools all close at 8pm. Even the hot tubs ! The clubs all close at 10pm. There is nothing to do on this ship after 10pm accept gamble in the casino.

There were a lot of smokers on this cruise and only one area for them. I counted 12 tables by the pool. Other than this, there is not one ashtray on the entire ship. This is good and bad for both smokers and non smokers. IF you have a cruise ship, and you have a lot of smokers and they can only smoke in one spot then the abundance of smoke in that one area is horrendous. If you dont have ashtrays in other places on the out side of the ship then they will find a place to put their butts.

I am not a complainer and I really hate to complain. I love cruising and basically you could put me on a barge and I would be happy as long as I know beforehand that it is a barge. But, when I book a 5 star cruise and get this, I am unhappy. I searched for reviews on this ship beforehand and was told by Celebrity when booking that this was much nicer than RC. I expected this and was very disappointed. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 6033

Larger balcony than most. Quiet location. Abundance of storage. Nasty floors on balcony and bathroom.

It rained a lot at this port. BUT Royal Caribbean did an excellent job making this port. It is beautiful. Just wish they had made a beach on it so you didn't have to leave the port. Beware, beyond the gates of this port is a scarey venture. I would not even consider walking beyond the gates. If you do leave the gate, make sure you do it on an excursion. Also, when at this port be aware that if you get your picture made with any locals or men walking on stilts they will expect a donation. (The men on stilts are inside the port gates and hit you the minute you enter this port.)
Read 494 Falmouth Reviews

Of all the ports of call in the Caribbean, this has to be the best by far! The island is not poverty stricken. People don't come up to you and ask for money. The island has the best beaches in the world. The water is crystal blue and the sand is as white as sugar. You are tendered to the port and it is surrounded by very nice shops and tons of things to do within walking distance. I recommend taking a taxi to the "Reef Cafe". It is a part of seven mile beach with a beautiful tiki bar, swimming pool with cabanas, and the most beautiful beach on earth. It only costs 5 dollars a person to take a taxi to it and 5 dollars back. No entry fee. They rent chairs, floats, snorkels, waverunners, kayaks, etc there.