Queen Victoria Cruise Review by Dale Williams: Good marketing but cannot deliver

Dale Williams
0 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Victoria Canary Islands Cruises

Good marketing but cannot deliver

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

It is with great regret and sadness that I have to pen yet another formal note with regards to our recent voyage with Cunard on the Queen Victoria which I have to say was extremely disappointing and well below our expectations.

Although we have had a long discussion with a senior purser regards to our numerous disruptions and issues while cruising on what we thought was The World's Best; we are not satisfied with a simple apology or the understanding that a full report will be logged with Cunard when we arrived back in Southampton yesterday as our complaint will not end there for the following reasons.

MAINTENANCE
We were instructed that the dirty balconies would be cleaned (not that we had complained) this was a routine flyer delivered to our staterooms. Needless to say this did not occur so the balconies remained grubby throughout our voyage.
Mid Ship pool area pool empty and had been re painted with head thumping fumes. The bar area remained under heavy More maintenance throughout the voyage
Heavy grinding in mid ship area behind unattractive tarpaulin for at least 2 hours
Returned to cabin to find that our balconies had been varnished this left our balcony unusable for at least 4 days due to drying time and smell it was still tacky when we disembarked. We also noted the Queens Grill rooms had not be done next to us so the essential maintenance only inconvenienced your lower grade cabins passengers.
Washing of decks on at least three occasions we were sprayed with water/foam whilst on deck. On one particular occasion while we had our formal evening attire on although the crew member apologised he continued to spray us this was on the second formal evening on portside deck 3
All throughout our time on deck we were harassed by painters when they started painting in on area we move only to be what seem like followed but as most passengers felt the same you were obviously having a heavy maintenance programme operating during our voyage.
On one occasion our colleagues had a cable running from their cabin while further balcony maintenance not allowing them to have their normal afternoon in their cabin
Without further disruption.
Every white lamp post on the Aft deck 9 was wet paint on day 8 making it impossible to relax on the deck as normal
The ZIP tap located at the rear of the lido had the change filter light flashing since embarking the ship although this was pointed out to many it remained flashing when we disembarked as this was drinking water we did not use it any longer.

DINING EXPERIENCE
Lido Restaurant
For the start of our holiday (first 4 days for breakfast and Lunch) we were unable to sit down in this area and had to resort to eating poolside in unpleasant drafts. Your staff there seemed to not really care as we were told this is not a seated service restaurant. Eventually we reserved our table with cutlery prior to getting our lunch this worked if it had not been cleared before returning with our food which on daily occasions was removed before we had finished in front of our own eyes.
Not all but the majority of the staff seemed grumpy and often told it wasn't their problem to clean a table we required after waiting over 20 min's in some cases for a table.
Late night food was a disgrace compared to other cruise lines Pizza or sometimes if you were lucky a baked up example of a curry we asked if anything else was available On one particular evening and was told he did not have enough time this was followed by an on board entertainer asking for some hot dogs to which he obliged to our disgust
Another example of Cunard complacency!

Brittania Restaurant
Evening
Staff here were outstanding (in particular Kumar, Noel and Jose) as was the food quality with the high volume formal nights and semi formal nights the temperature in this restaurant was uncomfortable apparently this is the case and nothing can be done.
Lunch Time (as given up in the lido)
Not so good a slack service with grumpy waiters and a long wait for refreshments
Food quality OK

Todd English
Total disgrace the concept clearly does not work your chef agreed and was given feed back at the table nice staff but never again.

Prime, Coriander Bamboo
Absolutely brilliant service quality of food and room temperature spot on so there was one plus side although we had to pay extra

ENTERTAINMENT
Fell way below our expectations especially the Royal Court Theatre. One good show in 11 weeks the rest was poor quality. Funch in the Golden Lion was without a doubt the best resident entertainer only interrupted by another Cunard quiz (way too many of these). On Karaoke evenings; staff could not wait to get off for the night and would wrap up very quickly on both occasions.

PHOTO DECK
Absolutely a total rip off although we were prepared to pay $150 for 10 photo's we were told we could not have that package as some had our friends with us and you could only have the package of your cabin alone total codswallop so you lost out, but would ask you to consider your environmental policies as we had around 20 printed on display all would have been shredded I assume? A big rethink in that area needed.

PURSERS DESK
Even here we experience complacency and aggravation after queuing for a while the person at the desk sad I can't help I need to go and asked her colleague next to her to assist she then claimed she had to make a phone call eventually a gentleman came along and assisted I explained that I wanted to pay some cash off of my account on the final evening he stated that's fine but advised I should do this before 11pm at 8.10pm we went to the desk to pay off a £1000 in cash only to be told that they needed to change it into dollars and I could only pay off $500 around £320 I asked why this was the case as surely it could be done electronically no cash dollars are being handed out they stated that was the daily limit per cabin, I the said at 12.01am I can come back and pay another $500 off they stated that was fine providing the card had not been charged, giving up on the whole stupidity I returned to my cabin and went to dinner on returning I had a message in my cabin on the phone stating at 9.05pm it was fine to come and exchange all of my £ as originally requested, as it had passed midnight and I could not tolerate another trip to the pursers desk at that time, sadly just another grievance from a different part of the ship

OVERALL

A very disappointing time with Cunard. Your marketing team should be praised for an excellent job but your voyages do not deliver sadly. Less

Read more Queen Victoria cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Victoria Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Victoria Balcony Deck 8 8160

Normal size balcony cabin had bigger for much less A2 cat was clean inside balcony grubby fair position on ship