Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by scbwino: Not Perfect but Close Enough

Not Perfect but Close Enough

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We had a different experience on the Summit than some of the other recent reviewers had. Sure, there were some glitches but we had perfect weather during a great itinerary(Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Thomas) so it was hard not to have a great time.
We enjoyed the layout and refurbished furniture and finishes in CS 6106. I will try to post pictures of the room and balcony later today on the Celebrity forum. The balcony was long -- we easily fit 9 adults out there a couple of times. On the other hand, the balcony is also narrow. There was a smallish table with two regular chairs. It would have been nice to have loungers of some sort but I think it is too narrow a space for them. It was also nice having the three large windows in the room although the pulley mechanism in the middle broke a couple of times. They need to replace those along with some adjustments to misaligned cabinets. Also, if you are taller than me (5'7") you may not like the adjustable hand held More shower which was barely higher than me at its peak.
Service ranged from very good to excellent (our butler, the sommelier) across the ship. In fact, we thought the service on this cruise was better than the last couple we have taken. Our butler, Elvis, was a great surprise to us given the lackluster butler we had on the Solstice a couple of cruises ago. He managed to setup a couple of nice sail away parties (with plenty of free food) that we hosted for several families we were traveling with and otherwise was always around ready to assist or so it seemed to us.
The main dining room was pretty good; service was very good and the sommelier was great and the food was good considering it is a large banquet hall. Not sure why people expect a fine dining experience in this type of setting. On the other hand Qsine is a great fine dining experience and one you should not miss. We also ate at Bistro on Five twice which we enjoyed and was always almost empty. Don't' be in a hurry; service is a bit slow compared to other venues. I can't really comment on the buffet since I only went there once the afternoon we embarked.
As on the Solstice, Penthouse, Royal and Celebrity suite passengers were given Elite benefits. The captain's club nightly events were held in Revelations at the top front of the ship. This was a nice change since we could enjoy the sail away and sunset. Both the drinks and canapes seemed better this time around for some reason. Then again, there were never more than 20 people when we were there.
As far as night life, we attend some shows which were pretty good. My wife frequented the casino which she enjoyed and I frequented Cellar Maters (never busy) trying as many wines as I could during the cruise.
All in all, another great cruise. Will we sail Celebrity again? You bet, we have a Med cruise this June on the Solstice. As a family, we have decide to stick with Celebrity and as a couple we will continue to cruise Crystal. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>