Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by jennycap: Family of Four FANTASTIC FIRST CRUISE

Norwegian Jewel 5
Member Since 2011
6 Forum Posts

Family & Children 3.5

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Left out of NY on Saturday March 24, 2012 - could not have been easier - we were dropped off (about noon) went through security and were on the boat - ON VACATION within about 30 minutes. Our room was not ready so we went to lunch, walked around - by then our room was ready and then our luggage arrived. We settled in and unpacked. I definitely suggest going to the bon Voyage BBQ near the pool - it gets you so pumped for your vacay. Georgeous Georges had a conga line going, the kids were in the pool and I had a cokatil in my hand,the DJ played NEW YORK NEW YORK was we passed the StaTue of Liberty and being the sap thaT I am I got a little teary. Things just got better from there and we had a fantastic week...the kids loved the KIDS CLUB - my 2 1/2 wasn't there nearly as much as my 8 1/2 year old but that was OK. We stopped in Florida and did an AIR BOAT ALLIGATOR excursion - we did the 3 hour one 1pm til 4pm - more than enough - we had met people who had done the 6 hour one - More cannot imagine being out and about that long...too much for our young family. Tuesday was GREAT STIRRUP CAY and WE LOVED IT - I had heard a lot of negative things about this stop - yes, it is under construction (cannot wait to see the finished project in 2014) but this was our favorite day - we had GORGEOUS weather and chairs at the water's edge (we were on the first tender going over: this was KEY!!) they brought the food off the boat and it was perfect beachy/picnic food - BBQ chicken, cold salads, etc. LOVED LOVED this day...WEDNESDAY Nassau was great - we did a dolphin excursion (Blue Lagoon Dolphion Encounter) good - not day - that night we ate at Tepanyaki with just my older daghter and it was great..the rest of the week we were at sea heading home- which again, was fine and relaxing having "nothing" to do but lounge around and relax.

Would suggest to anyone THINKING about traveling with a baby younger than 2 1/2: WAIT - it is not worth it - they cannot "do" anything and you are dealing with bottles, diapers, etc. You could not have paid me to take my daughter any younger..she was 2 1/2 and had a great time - they gave us a crib and she slept like a champ, ate everything and loved the pools, hot tub, etc.

ONE SUGGESTION for Norwegian - give us a place to just go and hang out with the kids - if our 2 1/2 yr old did not want to go to the Kids Club - then what??!? We had nowhere to JUST GO - I wish there was like a FAMILY ROOM, with tvs, couches, games, (not supervised, snacks, etc just somewhere to go and chill out...

Loved the Norwegian crew - loved our first cruise experience and will definitely do it again!! Less

Published 04/13/12

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: B29118 Family Balcony

118 - cute little cozy room which is what you would expect on a cruise - we had a crib and then my older daughter's bed came OUT OF THE CEILING at night - our cabin attendant would pull it down and make it up for us - she loved this and it was a real space saver!!

LOVED this day - I know they are doing construction but we were on the first tender over - got great chairs byt the water's edge and had a wonderful day. DO NOT RENT snorkel equipment not worth it - you have so many other things to do and we dropped $80 (my husband and daughter's equipment and water slide passes) Just buy the water slide passes - she was on it all day! GREAT GREAT DAY on GREAT STIRRUP CAY!!

Beach Break

liked the excursion - a little overpriced for the encounter - you were in a pool in a line and the dolphin came up to you for a photo op. We could not do the swim one as our youngest was only 2 but I would suggest spending the extra money and doing the full swim with the dolphins...

Fun day, saw alligators and tasted alligator tail - saw a little animal show - very cute - kids loved it.

Skip X

See Norwegian Jewel deals up to 82% off:

November Deals

7-day Mexican Riviera From Los Angeles ***no Back To Back With 9/12/15 09/19/15 & 09/29/15***
December Deals