Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by SpoonerCruizer: Great Experience on the Spirit

SpoonerCruizer
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Experience on the Spirit

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

We flew into NOLA on Friday so we could spend a few days exploring New Orleans. We stayed at Harrah's just outside of the French Quarter and enjoyed walking around the FQ. We spent Saturday riding the streetcars, with St. Charles route being our favorite. We ate at Crazy Lobster on the Riverwalk, Deanies in the French Quarter and Besh's Steak House at Harrah's.
Embarkation:
What a simple experience. We arrived at the port around 11:45 and we were on the ship around 1:00. We were able to drop off our bags in the room and went to eat at Windows. There was a full menu available for lunch. After lunch we explored the ship and waited for the muster drill. No lifejackets required. After the drill we went up to the Bier Garten for the CC Sail-Away. We met some very nice people, including a NOLA native who showed us where Katrina did the most damage. We had dinner in Garden Dining Room and it was very good. Went to the casino and didn't leave winners.

Day at Sea: We had our More morning coffee on the balcony, got dressed and went to the CC Meet and Greet. We had a very good turn-out and NCL had a set up of coffee and rolls. Many of the ships officers were there, and if there was a wonder if they read ship reviews,they do. Next was the cabin crawl, which I missed, since I went to the casino to get things set for the slot pull. No jackpots, but we each got $10 back. Spent the rest of the day shopping and finding quiet spots to read.

Cozumel: Got off the ship and walked thru the shopping center without buying anything except a couple bottles of water. Took a cab to Palacar Beach $25 each way. It was great. Found a spot underneath a palm tree with a couple of chairs and a table to have lunch on. We ordered a drink and they started a tab for us. Had a plate of nachos and a couple of beers. The beach is rocky, but after about 6 ft. it was sand. When it was time to leave we paid our tab and cabbed it back to the ship. I would recommend Palancar Beach, it was not crowded at all. We had dinner that night in Cagney's. It was good but would not do it again.

Belize: We took the NCL excursion to Bannister Island. It was a very relaxing day. I did forget to put sunscreen on my legs, and I spent the rest of the trip with a towel over my legs... oops!!! There was a bar with a grill for food and a gift shop. We were there for 4 hours and we were brought back to the ship and had enough time to change and catch a tender to Belize City to walk around and have a drink at the Toucan Daiquiri. Stopped at the Chocolate shop and my wife bought a wrap at this nice shop. A very enjoyable place.

Roatan: We used Island Marketing to book a trip to the West Beach area. They were waiting for us and took us to Bananarama beach. We got our beach chairs on one of the nicest beaches we have been to. They do have armed, yes armed guards walking around to keep the vendors from bothering the guests. We felt very safe leaving our personal belongings on the beach. We rented a battery powered catamaran for a half hour and had a great Pina Colada. We could leave at anytime we wanted since the driver stayed with us the entire time. We headed back to the ship, and spent the rest of the day relaxing in the room.

Costa Maya: We had reservations at Maya Chan Beach, and I would recommend this place to anyone going to Costa Maya. They met us at the gate with a sign-in sheet and a place to sign for liability. They brought us drinks at our own place on the beach. Beach chairs, palapa, and hammock. My wife had a massage and I spent the time at the bar. I wanted to try some good mexican tequila, and boy did I find it. I had 3 shots, and a few beers. Lunch was excellent, with steak, chicken, and fish. We got a ride back to the ship, and we watched sail away from the dock from our balcony.

We had a very enjoyable and relaxing trip on the Spirit. It is too bad that she is leaving for Europe.
Thanks for reading. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eleven 11060