Celebrity Century Cruise Review by decko0113

Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: C1
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

First Time Losers
You just know it in your water that even before you get on the ship, this adventure isn't going to be a smooth one. Travelling from Edinburgh via heathrow to Los Angeles for an overnight stay there, before going on to Honolulu the next day. We stopped over at the Westin just outside LAX, the direction to find the shuttle to get us to the hotel was very vague and we never saw the shuttle company anywhere. Fortunately we did get the hotel shuttle and the thought of a nice relaxing night in a soft Westin bed. Wrong jets coming in every five minutes kept me awake and i had a totel of three hours sleep. Positive though, at least i didn't sleep in for the flight to honolulu. Amercian Airlines check in procedures shocked me though, compared to British Airways this company is a joke and fortunately we had a print out of my meal allocation from BA or we would have had nothing.

Landing in Honolulu, we saw the guy holding up the A4 bit of paper with the words facing him, we all gathered to have our cases piled on a cart and with one guy pushing it. it became unstable and several cases fell off, honestly we would have been quicker carrying our own luggage to the shuttle bus. We waited ages for the shuttles to arrive, 2x10 ten seater, but one of them was a nine seater, so i had to go on the other bus, just as well as my case was on the bus i was on and the wifes cases was on her shuttle. I had expected my cases to be with her shuttle and i checked just in curiosity, low and behold my case was there. So can you imagine if i did sit along with my wife my case would have been on the sidewalk until the next shuttle appeared, I waited five minutes for my wifes shuttle to show up. and by that time my case could have walked away on its own. Its only by good fortune I wasn't punching anyone then. When we made our way to the terminal there was no signs notices to advise us what to do and where to go, pathetic organisation.

Then when finally aboard we could even get to our cabins as they weren't ready by 3.00pm. what a shock we got when we got to our cabins, the thing is so narrow, we could just get by between the bulkhead and the bed and the bed was fit for a midget. the Cafe food was never hot, i don't particularly like to queue up for two slice of toast in the morning, when the toast is at the end, a lot of passengers felt annoyed at me doing this, I heard a few comments, but I certainly prefer the buffet arrangement such as on the Rhapsody of the Seas. The previous review was correct out the chiller not working and crew working on it without a care about setting up a safe working area. I wasn't impressed by the chief engineer on board it was no shock that the century didn't leave port when it was supposed too for mechancial reasons. The constant showing off passess and picture ID to get on the ship was a pain, 4 times in a matter of yards, plus sterilising hands, it will influence a future amercian cruise because of it.

Intertainment was OK, not as good as Thomsons, but better than Princess, but Princess excels in there handling of your transits to and from the ship. Celebrity needs to professionalise their operation up, they are very much third rate here.

I never understood why we were getting dropped off at Ensenada as the ship as going to San Diego and thats where everyone was going whether for post cruise breaks or flights. Our bus, the ill fated bus number 47, had a driver that I wondered how he had managed to find ensenada as he couldn't find his way back to the states. He was a four letted ing joke. My wife who was in the first row of seats ened up navigating as he was intent in going to Rosarito which was south of where we had started from. The Q&A sheet from Celebrity was good reading, it said once you board the bus for San Diego you won't see your cases again until you arrive at the airport, for one passenger that was true her cases weren't on the damned bus. There was a case on the bus that didn't belong to anyone. When we hit the border, all the cases had to come off and go through customs for x-ray, some folk just weren't capable of handling their own cases and had to be assisted, also the bus had to go a seperate route and we had to join up with it at the other end and we couldn't find it. Had it not been a Vagabond helping us out who knows what would have happened and all this under the promise of Celebrity assistance, "My Arse" The worst bit was trying to get into the right lane for the bus to go through customs the driver just hadn't a clue what to do here and by our insistance we got a churro seller to come on the bus to help us, we were starving so the churros filled a hole.

Eventually we get through the border and the simple task of finding the hotel would be easy, your joking, right, he couldn't find the Westin at 400 West Broadway, it was so simple to find it as well, but for him it was major hurdle. we ended up stopping at the wrong westin and walking to the right one a few blocks away. The only good thing out that day was that we discovered a very reasonable set of customs officers, who couldn't understand why Celebrity had said that it was US law to shunt us of the boat at Ensenada (yes i am calling it a boat cause its not worthy of being called a ship). so by 4.00pm cases in our room, we took the scenic lift down for a little walk and what was berthed in the harbour, yes the celebrity century. as we walked to the harbour to we bumped into a member of the crappy band and he said that they arived at 2.00pm. First and last celebrity cruise.

Publication Date: 04/13/12