Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Stevealan

Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: C1
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Century officers Unfriendly and our worst cruise experience
A cruise from Sydney to Honolulu on the Century was the most unpleasant I have ever experienced.Due to our plane being late, we arrived about 40 minutes prior to departure. There was no one to greet us and tell us where to go. I went to the Customer Service desk to inquire as to what to do. I was told my key number was on the envelope. I asked about being welcomed and informed about safety procedures. I was told "consider yourself welcome and go to your cabin. I never received any safety instructions and never found out where the muster station was.

Two days later, while sitting in the Hemispere Lounge for an Elite Members cocktail party when a chair leg broke and I fell to the floor at an angle. A furniture maker who witnessed the accident said the leg had been improperly installed (glued, not screwed on) and was the wrong size and type of wood.

The next day I had severe back pain. I went to Guest Relations and was told there was no incident report. Three times I was asked for the name of the crew member who came to assist me and I stated I did not know. I was referred to the doctor. He diagnosed soft tissue injury and gave me medications and a back brace. There was never any follow-up from anyone. I suffered pain for the duration of the cruise and still have pain.

I requested a meeting with the safety officer to go over the incident. He grilled me with questions to somehow prove the fault was mine. He also refused to allow me or the furniture maker who witnessed the accident to see the chair and leg. He asked the furniture maker to write a report then refused to give him a copy. It seemed to me Celebrity was attempting to "cover up" the accident or to somehow make it my fault. There were several other people who witnessed the accident and corroborated my story. Fortunately, I have their names and addresses. By the way, I am 6' 1" and weigh 190 lbs. and am not considered "overweight."

I asked the Manager of Guest Relations for a copy of my medical records and X-rays and was refused.

Officers would pass in public areas and not make eye contact or speak.

My partner and I look forward to the ship's "Friends of Dorothy" or LGBT meetings onboard. There was no listing of this gathering in the daily bulletin. When I inquired I was told "it is company policy not to list these meetings." When I returned and called the guest relations corporate office as to the reason why it was not listed was that "many of our passengers are older and they find it offensive." I found this very offensive since my partner and I are both "older travelers" as are the majority of LGBT passengers on Celebrity. All the other major cruise lines have these meetings and usually "host" them with the cruise director for the first meeting with complimentary drinks in order to show that our business is valued and appreciated. This is especially true on Holland America, Cunard and Princess.

Celebrity has eliminated complimentary bottled water and headphones in the gym. When I inquired with the Director of Customer Relations on the Century he stated there was a refrigerator with bottled water. I asked him to show me and he refused. The fitness instructor stated that water was for sale at the spa but it does not open until 8:00AM. The same applies now to Royal Caribbean.

In summary, we felt "unwelcomed" and as undesirable passengers from the moment we boarded the Century. I might also add the ship's hull is extremely rusty and looked like it belonged in a third world county. We had sailed the Century several years ago with a totally different experience. And yes, the Friends of Dorothy meeting was hosted and we felt very welcomed. I wonder if the Century treats any other minorities in a similar fashion?

On the positive side, our waiter was very professional and friendly, as was our stateroom attendant. We were in the Concierge Class on deck 9.

I hope some of you who read this are LGBT and take into account the manner in which Celebrity and Royal Caribbean has specifically "minimized" us and does not deserve our business. The overall "homophobic" attitude among the management staff aboard the ship was quite obvious.

Publication Date: 04/13/12