Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by mlyonsden: Disappointed RCL customer

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed RCL customer

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Left SLC in a snow storm. Arrived in Orlando to nice weather. We spent 5 days at DisneyWorld on property. It was great way to start a long vacation.

Took a shuttle (Tropicanna) to the ship. Seemed like it took forever. Arrived at Port at about 12:30pm, we were just shocked how big FOS ship was. It was beautiful. Embarkment was fast and smooth. First impressioned were wow. We went to our room. It was nice but not any better than carnival. We went to Windjammer, the food was ok but not fantastic. We ate lunch there until the last day when we found out about the wonderful salad bar in the dining room. I wish we would have been told about it earlier in the cruise.

The muster drill was very smooth and not as time consuming as the past one. We ate dinner every night in the dining room. Food was good but carnivals was better (selection, type, etc). Waiter staff was good, but hated them always telling us their service was great. The only problem we had was More formal night with lobster/prime rib. They limited us to either lobster or prime rib not both and they were limiting the lobster to 2 max per person, this was totally against all we had heard from previous customers. We went to every show, they were very good and worth our time. Ice show was incredible. We enjoyed the movie theatre. We went one time to Johnny Rockets not worth the time or money. Ben and Jerry's was great. Soda pass was worth purchasing.

Our room steward was almost invisible, he did the 2x a day but I saw him only 3 times the whole cruise, my wife never met him. If you need help with excursions be prepared for unprofessional uncaring people. I never could get the help I needed, I asked on Wed for Thur excursions to late to book another but they wouldn't provide maps to the closest beach or anything regarding St Maarten. Consider the price difference between RCI and Carnival I expected much better than we received. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Deck 6

Nice, quiet room.

Beautiful Sand Bar in the ocean. Beaches great place to do nothing. They closed almost all water activities because of rough seas. Lunch provide on island was good. Spend 3 or 4 hours relaxing.
Read 244 CocoCay Reviews

Ship excursion would provide any information so we ventured out into the city. We found the tour van area and booked the circle island tour for $25 a person (cheaper than the ship). Driver was very knowledgeable about island, van was clean and nice. Stops were good. Loved the beach by the airport, wished we could have spent more time there. Orient Beach was nice except for the restrooms they were gross. Found out at the end of the tour that there was a beach just down the street from the ship. Way the ship staff wouldn't tell us about it, your guess is as good as mine. Island was clean and nice would visit again.

Butterfly Farm

(2)
Large netted tent with butterflies. They were beautiful but definately not a Farm. Bird show at the end was the best thing of this activity. You walk to it from the ship.

Coral World Tour

(1)
Drive to Coral World showed the bad side of St Thomas. Garbage was everywhere you looked. Not impressive. Park was run down, bathrooms were dirty, windows in the aquarium were so slimmy you could barely see through them. Fish/animals seemed to be neglected. I wouldn't waste my money.