Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by Forever12

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by Forever12
Bahamas Celebration
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Bahamas Celebration to Grand Bahamas Island/Our Lucaya
I want to start out saying that my 5 year old son and I had a great vacation. We "won" a free cruise to the Bahamas through "Caribbean Cruise Line". This "cruise line" doesn't really have a ship and is a marketing company that also deals with time shares. I already knew this going in. I did upgrade to 2-night stay at the Radisson Grand Lucayan Resort (formally known as "Our Lucaya"). We did NOT have to go to any time share presentations for this trip. We did our duty 2 years ago and are on their emailing lists.

For this trip, it was just my 5 year old son and I for a 7 day Spring Break vacation. We arrived a little late at the port in West Palm Beach and it took a long time to check in. (I would recommend everyone get to the port early before 11am). We got on-board the Bahamas Celebration ship at around 4pm. Our room was ready so we unpacked in our cabin. The cabin was nice with all the basic necessities.

We went to the top desk for some ice cream at the Ice Cream shop. Cups are free, but a waffle cone is extra. We just got the free cup. We did get a snack at the buffet on the top desk. A steel drum player was providing the music. We walked around the ship wait for the ship to leave. My son played in the kids water-slide area for a bit. We then watch us leave port at about 7pm. We then hit dinner.

We had dinner at the "Rio" restaurant. This is a casual restaurant and we were just dressed in a shirt and shorts. They had a serve yourself appetizer, soup and salad area. We tried everything and it was good. I would not call the food gourmet, but it was tasty. The waiter takes your order and brings it to your table. I like that you don't have to get dressed up. I had the prime rib dinner and my son had the chicken nuggets kids meal. After dinner, we went back to our cabin.

When we woke up, we were just pulling into Grand Bahamas Island. We got our suitcases and headed off the ship. We boarded a bus to take us to the Radisson Grand Lucayan Resort. It took a long time to get checked in at the hotel. My son found another kid his age to play with while waiting. Luckily our room was ready. The room was an island facing room. I inquired about an ocean view room and was told I could get one for a $50/night fee. This was a no-brainer. Definitely upgrade to an ocean view room. Well worth it. we had a 6th floor room overlooking the resort and the ocean. One word: SPECACTULAR!!!

My son and I played on the beach and I ordered a Bahama Mama (their local drink). The resort is really nice and I had no complaints. It is very relaxed in the Bahamas and don't expect things quickly. It is just the way things are over there. After several hours of playing on the beach, we went back to the room to shower before heading to dinner.

We had dinner at "Zorbas" just across the street at the Lucayan Marketplace. The food was very good and not too expensive. I had a chicken kabob and my son ordered the shrimp. We then went back to our room.

The next morning we took the "East End cave" tour. Our bus took us to the Lucayan National Park. We saw 2 caves. They were OK. But the real part of this tour is going to Gold Rock Beach. This is one of the most awesome beaches I have ever seen. This is not to be missed. My son found a real starfish which he named "Patrick". He also fed some wild raccoons. We then had lunch at Bannana Bay restaurant located right on the beach. Great location.

After the tour, we went to the beach at the hotel. After a few hours of playing on the beach and the pool, we went to dinner. We ate at "Agave", a fusion Caribbean/Latin American style restaurant. The food was fantastic. I ordered the Lobster Burrito and my son had the shrimp Quesadillas. We went back to the hotel after dinner and made it just before the rain hit.

The next morning was a clear and sunny day. My son played on the beach with a little friend he made. I had another Bahama Mama. We checked out of the hotel and headed back to the ship. We hit the ice cream shop again. My son went to the "Little Coconut" kids area to play with some other little cruisers. He had a really fun time. I had to drag him out of their for dinner. This time, we had 6pm reservations at "Crystals" restaurant. This is a more formal dress up restaurant. We were seated very quickly and our waiter was really attentive. He took our order. We had a shrimp appetizer, Bahamaian soup and a Caesar salad to start out with. The service was very quick. I ordered the fish and my son ordered the hamburger kids meal. My meal was good. My son liked his hamburger and fries. We then had the chocolate cake for dessert, which was great.

After dinner, my son went back to the "Little Coconuts" kids area. I went to see the show in the lounge. The "Cirque" was enjoyable and Steve Zimmerman was funny. He pulled me up on stage for a part of his act. It was fun. I then had a Mojito, picked up my son and then headed back to the room.

The next morning we got off the ship in West Palm Beach and made it through customs in less than 10 minutes. i think we were the lucky ones as others had to wait in long lines.

Overall, this was a fantastic trip that didn't cost a whole lot of money. My son and I had a great time.

Publication Date: 04/13/12