Norwegian Star Cruise Review by fhassler40: Relaxing cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

Relaxing cruise

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

My boyfriend and I just returned home from the 7 day cruise on Norweign Star sailing to Roatan, Honduras, Belize City, Belize, Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico.
Short and sweet...Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze, I think the easiest I have ever encountered.
Mini suite with balcont was pretty much as I expected.Clean and enough room for 2. Problem...only 2 electrical outlets, 1 in the bathroom and one right outside the bathroom. Asked our cabin steward for an extension cord, never saw it.
I will save the "nightlife" for the end.
First day was a sea day. Absolutely no chairs at the pool! Lots of "items" (towels, lotion bottles, flip flops) on the lounge chairs. Reserving of chairs is not allowed. After about 15 minutes of walking around, I watched to see if people were coming and going, figured out which ones were saving the chairs, then finally moved the items and sat down. I had about 4 hours of sun and did not leave my chair once. This rule needs to More be enforced!!
Service at the pools and surrounding decks were excellent.Bands were upbeat and kept me entertained.
Day 2 Roatan , Honduras. Great stop, went on snuba excursion.
Day 3 Belize, another great stop, went on zipline and cave tubing excursion. Fun!
Day 4 Costa Maya. Another beautiful stop. private beach club with included drinks, food for purchase. Wave runners, kayaks. watch the locals selling cigars and jewelry. Great liars!!!
Day 5 Cozumel, mexico. Always a great place to stop. Been 3 times and love the beautiful water. Lots of shopping, Carlos and charlies and Senor Frogs have apool and beach chairs right off the dock. Went on 2 person speed boat to hideaway beach. Also fun and beautiful beaches and water.
Day 6 at sea. Again no chairs at pool.

Ok, now to entertainment and nightlife. First off, the DJ and bands at the pool were good. Every night we walked to every area that had music to find something to our taste and every night we ended up back on our balcony. The "human jukebox" was horrible. The piano "bar" was like listening to elevator music. The piano bars on other cruise lines always had the loudest crowd and the most upbeat music! Always a fun time. Not this ship. Ok, no disco? The only real place to dance was in the Spinnacker Lounge, which is like theater with a small stage and small dance floor. One night ,we walked into a SockHop. Are you kidding me?? Next night, Boot Scootin Boogie, which could have been fun if the band was any good. Then, the same band also did a "rock" night. Music itself was ok, but the singer sounded as if he was drowning or gargling, couldn't tell which. The pub, I think it was called the Red Lion, had karaoke. Not alot of adults singing, mostly kids getting up to singing. This ship has the worst nightlife I have ever experienced on a cruise! It if wasnt for the fact that we had such activity filled days, I didnt mind relaxing in the evening, I would have complained right on the ship.
Casino..Very tight!!! I don't mind losing when I play, but give me a little to keep playing.
Photos by onboard staff were terrible. I took better photos than the photographers did.
Food was fair in the "lido" Nothing different or exciting..pasta, chicken, pizza, pork. Minimal desserts. Pretty much generic foods.
Food in the dining room was very good. Aqua had better service than Versailles. So many places that had a cover charge for eating there. Cagneys which is a Steakhouse, with a cover of $25, was very good. But that is the food one should expect to have in the dining room. An italian place with a cover charge of $10, be real....again, should be included in the dining room.
Room service at breakfast was danishes, cold cereals, fruit. Very poor.
Shops..been there, done that. Same thing in shops onboard as every other cruise ship.
Well, I think that is enough, I will never go on another Norweign cruise. I have payed significantly less for cruises on other cruiselines with much better food and entertainment. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 11122

Mini suite with balcony, midship. Nice balcony and room. Only 2 electrical outlets. Plenty of storage. pool and lido immediately above room, a lot of stomping and dragging of chairs heard.