Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by CruiseladySeattle: A Truly Beautiful Ship

1 Post

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A Truly Beautiful Ship

Sail Date: March 2012

Have been so anxious to experience Sostice Class and the Eclipse did not disappoint. I will say that if you want peace and quiet, spring break is not the time to go, but there are many secluded and private areas on the ship to enjoy. There were, reportedly, 800 children on board but it was the college age crowd that were the loud ones and grabbed all the pool chairs and so on. We stayed one night pre cruise at the Sheraton Airport and were delighted! The outdoor terrace is fabulous, beds are great. Bus to pier was run by an absolute Nazi, "Mr. Brown" who terrorized everyone for vouchers so that was not a good thing and wish we had taken a cab. Embark and disembark was the easiest I have ever experienced at the pier.
We had lunch at Bistro on Five to avoid the crowds at the buffet and returned there several times as it is a great bargain at $5 pp. I do think their food is very high seasoned however so watch what you get; soups and salad my More favorites. I have never been a buffet fan but this one was great! We were so pleased with selections and it's nice to take your food out on the aft area with comfy tables and chairs. Plus, one flight up from there is the Sunset Bar in the Lawn Club area which was our all time favorite hang out and great for sail-away. Continuing with food/drink, we only did the MDR the first two nites as we were very unhappy with the two people women seated with us who had only illness and surgeries on the chit chat agenda. Should have asked for a change of table to be seated with some other couples but there are so many dining choices we just decided to skip it. Food and service on those two nights was good however. Qsine is fun tho my aging husband found it very quirky which it is. Best selection was the filet palette for "real food" and the desserts are super. Loved Tuscan Grill. Let them help you order so you get some little pasta tastes etc. but for entree you cannot beat the steaks. The day at sea brunch in the MDR is quite a show if you don't mind being with 2000 or so of your fellow passengers. Quite a zoo.
Absolutely loved the hot glass show and you do not have to stay through the whole thing; just don't miss it. I went to the auction at the end of the week but could not bid high enough. Also were very happy with the iLounge and attended the first free class - most of the other classes were on iPad which we don't have but if you do you should sign up. Signed up for smallest package so I could email as roaming charges on iPhone were very high.
We had been to San Juan and St Thomas so stayed on the ship and enjoyed the calm. In St Maarten I had arranged a visit to La Samanna resort for a tour and lunch as a TA and it was heaven. They also had wifi so I was sending pictures and emails like crazy on the iPhone.
Overall, having cruised many times, I will say the decor and spotlessness of this ship is superb - Many beautiful areas - the library is lovely. Shows were ok, not fab, but nice. Service everywhere was excellent. Michelle, our room steward, did a great job and we were very happy with our 1A (if only three young men had not been sharing the one next door! What a huge racket when the bars closed and they got back to their room) Would never again go during spring break but the weather was wonderful and a great change from gloomy Seattle this time of year. I continue to believe Celebrity does a better job than the other major cruise lines in every way. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 8199

8199 is close to the forward elevator but we really needed to use the midship elevators most of the time. It's on the forward bump out so I felt the balcony was a bit larger than average as it's wedge shaped. No problem with storage, bath design is very good. My preference would be for a C1 on the aft, or even better, a Sky Suite, but this was fine for only a week.