Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Merrykalia: Spring Break on the Carnival Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Spring Break on the Carnival Dream

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My family - husband, myself, two daughters, 4 and 7 cruised out of Port Canaveral for spring break on the Dream. We had never been on this boat, nor this itinerary before. Let me say that the ship was crowded with lots and lots of children and teens. I think they said there were 1600+ children on the ship. We booked a spa room and that was one of the highlights of the cruise for me. The aromatherapy steam room is "DA BOMB"!! Loved it and it was never crowded. Will definitely plan to book spa rooms in the future since the cost difference was minimal.

There were lots of options for lunch, but the lines were long. The tandoor was really good as was the pasta bar, but you had to fight your way in and they were only open for lunch - 12 noon - 3 pm or something like that, according to when we were in port.

At any other time, it was really hard to get food or at least good food. The buffet line in the Lido was ok, but definitely nothing to write home about and you More had to stand in the line for 15 minutes or so and then one kid would want to get something from another place, so by the time we did that, my food was cold. Pizza was pretty sorry, with mostly dough and few veggies or meats on them. A slice (1/4 of the 12" pizza) had 1-2 pieces of pepperoni on it.

Our room was small, but was kept immaculately clean by the steward (Juan) and his helper (Willie). Couldn't ask for any better service in the rooms.

The comedians were pretty good - we attended 3 family friendly shows.

The pools, two large, were always crowded and it was very hard to find a lounger unless you arrived before 10 am. If you left, you lost your seat for the rest of the day. Most cruise ships have had two pools when they only carried 2000 guests. Now the larger ships carry 4500 passengers and still only have two pools!!

Food in the Crimson dining room was okay, but not the greatest that I have ever eaten. One evening, I had the lobster tail, which were really small, but had pretty good flavor. I ordered 3 of them and I also had the Oyster's Rockefeller which were good, but you only got 2! Most places serve at least a half-dozen for an appetizer and I ended up ordering 3 plates.

We had dinner in the Chef's Art Steakhouse and dinner was amazing! It also cost us another $30 each to eat there. I had the surf and turf and the filet was melt-in-your-mouth good, as was the lobster. My husband had the lobster ravioli and it was also amazingly good. I ordered some kind of cheesecake for dessert and it was wonderful, but very rich. It was a HUGE serving. The presentation as well as the service in this restaurant was fabulous. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Panorama 11223

Small, close, but clean. Large closets, storage under the bed was adequate.

Chankanaab National Park Tour

(4)
This was a great excurion......BUT......it took us over an hour and a half to get there, only got to spend 3 hours there, then another hour and a half to return to the ship. We spent as much time commuting as we did there. We will plan to return to XCARET, but as a destination, not an excursion.

Anthony's Key Resort Dolphin Encounter and Tabyana Beach Resort was great. The dolphin encounter, though expensive was really good and the adults as well as young children enjoyed it. The drive between the two was about 45 minutes, so we spent quite a while on the road. The beach was crowded, but the hosts found chairs for you (for a good tip). The beach was pretty with white sand, gorgeous turquoise water. The snorkeling for the day was discontinued because of the rough waters out past the reef.
Read 1662 Roatan Reviews