Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by Coli

Member Name: Coli
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: other
Cabin Category: 5E
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

DCL Fantasy Maiden Voyage
This was our second cruise on DCL - purely wanted to do the MV on Fantasy - we really weren't interested in the ports.

I travelled with my 65+ mother and we had an aft balcony on deck 10. Yes, the aft balconies are HUGE. Ours was in the centre of the ship. No the noise from upstair in Cabanas did not bother us - it really wasn't too loud and we're early risers. No, the noise from the connecting rooms was not an issue.

The ship is beautiful. The cast members were on the ball. This ship had so many shake-down cruises after the issues with Dream last year. This was a team that was switched on an enthusiastic to finally have real guests.

Our service team in the dinning rooms were brilliant - we were 6 adults to the table and now are all fast friends. Noel Dias from India was our Server and Jelena was our Assistant Server - good team, good fun, great service.

Enjoyed both Palo and Remy. Yes Remy is worth the up charge if you are a true foodie and the wine pairing was sublime. I was thrilled to see that they used Riedel's glasses specific to type of wine - which makes a huge difference. Cecilia was our server, from Provence, and she really knew her stuff. An enjoyable last meal on the ship.

Dining rotation for us was ERAERAE - do go to both Animator Palate nights - the second night is the new 'animation' show, the first one is the 'Crush Talk' one.

Food was good, company was great.

Kids activities were abundant and the parents we spoke too and kids were all having a blast.

Adult pool is small but really I didn't use it with the new satellite falls on deck 13 forward and the new 'paddling' pool on Deck 12 about the adult pool. The adults quickly took over this section of deck 12 as the shallow pool is perfect for lounging in with a book/kindle. Traffic through the area was not a noticeable issue.

Europa zone was wonderful - I heard many Dream passengers say they preferred it to Dream's adult area. I was hard pressed to pick a favorite bar as they were all unique. O'Gills, the Irish Pub, was popular. As our cabin was 10 Aft it was very convenient to go to deck 4 aft, stop for a drink on the way to dinner/show and stop back on the way 'home' for the night'.

Shows - we saw two of the 3 production shows - Aladin and Wishes. Wishes was my favorite. As this was the Maiden Voyage we had some unique shows as well. Larry the Cable Guy kept us entertained one night - and he even came on the PA system on Castaway Cay day which left Brent our CD in stitches. Another treat was listening to the amazing Lea Solnga (singing voice of Jasmine and Mulan) perform with Stephen Schwartz, who produced Wicked.

Spa - yes the spa was fantastic. As an Elemis user anyway I had no issues with the treatments or the sale's pitch - I politely told my therapist not to give me the pitch.

Would I cruise on DCL again - yes in a heartbeat - especially with family. Would I cruise just with adults - you do have to be a Disney fan - or at least not mind a bit of mouse in the house - which of course I don't. However, you don't feel like you are tripping over kids all the time :) The ship, the service and the ambience was everything I expected from Disney.

Publication Date: 04/11/12